Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jus' Wondering if anyone has balanced their fan. I notice on Lil Buffalo's drive shaft thread that his fan looked kinda dinged in places and figure it would not be a bad idea. I'm a fiend for balancing props on boats and figure the same sort of set up (put it on a couple bearing mounted conical centers) would work.

My other ?... has anyone ever looked for and found a replacement fan of any type other than the Honda Plast-o-crud. I've looked at numerous industrial catalogs ( Grainger, MSC, Northern...etc. ) and I cannot find the one that fits "just right"

Just looking for a possible alternative to the electric fan and rad replacement.

P.S. Marshall... I'm counting on you

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
comical centres sounds ok to me

I used to do that on ships propellors when I were

but a starvin apprentice in the dockyards at Devonport.

I mind the day they said Nelson had fallen at Trafalgar.............

·
Super Moderator
23,734 Posts
I've also read in a couple of publications [classic m/cycle mechanics?] that Honda themselves recognised the problem of grenading plastic fans during these bikes production run and started fitting steel fans.

I have never seen one of these on any bike, nor for sale on ebay or similar.

Has anyone else seen or heard of this?

I tend to think it's misinformation.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
comical centres sounds ok to me

I used to do that on ships propellors when I were

but a starvin apprentice in the dockyards at Devonport.

I mind the day they said Nelson had fallen at Trafalgar.............

I resemble that remark! my friend...

MGR1

Posted Today, 01:43 PM

You can make a suitable adapter for the Muzzy fan. They come in several sizes.

Thanks for the link... ! I'll be checking that out.

CXPHREAK

Posted Today, 08:41 PM

"I've also read in a couple of publications [classic m/cycle mechanics?] that Honda themselves recognised the problem of grenading plastic fans during these bikes production run and started fitting steel fans.

I tend to think it's misinformation."

I do as well, after beau coups searching for any alternatives...

·
Registered
492 Posts
The Muzzy fan should be a real alternative to the oem part. Making a center for it should pose little problems. The only issue I can think of is that the metal fan would amplify noise more than the plastic one.

Michael

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
I've also read in a couple of publications [classic m/cycle mechanics?] that Honda themselves recognised the problem of grenading plastic fans during these bikes production run and started fitting steel fans.

I tend to think it's misinformation.

Misinformation for sure, Honda never offered anything except the plastic fan. I don't know how much of a useful endeavor it is to balance or find a replacement for the fan. It's still readily available brand new from Honda for about $25. Still have the factory originals on my bikes, inspected and there are no cracks or other signs of imminent failure.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Misinformation for sure, Honda never offered anything except the plastic fan. I don't know how much of a useful endeavor it is to balance or find a replacement for the fan. It's still readily available brand new from Honda for about $25. Still have the factory originals on my bikes, inspected and there are no cracks or other signs of imminent failure.

I would have never thought there would still be NOS fans around... even with age, they still have to better than one that has made a few hundred million revolutions. ThX!

I've taken two off of junkyard engines that looked good from the front side and were showing cracks on the back. They both had some damage along a couple of the blade edges and I figure being out of balance could not be helping anything. They are probably screwed up aerodynamically as well...

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Most of the fans I've seen have been pretty beat up in one way or another

and every one had cracks on the back where the plastic is bonded to the alloy boss.

It would be interesting to see how well balanced they actually are.

As for aerodynamic, considering these bikes were built to a price

I doubt they'd win any prizes for that.

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500C
307 Posts
What is your aversion to an electric fan? The radiator doesnt need changed out. And you get a little more snap from the motor. AND your cam chain will last longer.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have no particular "Aversion" to an electric fan... I just have a reluctant tendency to fix things that seem to work OK.
you are 100% right on about unloading the motor...

Maybe I'm lucky in although my CX ( only one so far ) is running great after just a good fuel and air syst maint along with some simple electric ( cleaning and grounding, main fuse link replaced) and brake stuff . I luckily have not had to worry about "Statoritis" or suffering from undue " Cam Chain Stress"... yet,,, knock wood!
in other words, I have not had to be off the bike for more than a half day or so or had to crack the case... That half a day down, it was trying to get new tires to seat

I expect one day to go with an electric rig, and a good temp gauge.. as I figure it's the next logical modernization. I could make a list of "Needed" Mods including ignitech, Airbox and Exhaust, 7v Regulator, LEd Lights, and a few others I cannot recall. I have already doubled the buy in price of 500$ , and at this point just want a safe , reliable bike for not too much $$$.
I used to say there is no such thing as a "Cheap" motorcycle. But when I look at Dakota's dream... I guess it's all relative.

Maybe my new job will work out and I'll be able to afford lot's of toyZ... I still would keep the CX as a daily ride no matter what. At this point, hey a fan fell out of the sky and into my lap for 0.00... Ya, can't beat that!

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Couple of Pics...

#1 Fan comparison. The blade diameter is 1" smaller

Naw... it's just an illusion, for some reason the leading edge looks lower... it's not?

Cx Fan showing Cracks radiating from hub and Trailing edge damage. How do these get damaged without hurting the radiator anyhowse?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.