Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am working on this bike for another form member

it is an 78 cx500 the bike runs good when cold

starts right up you can jump on and ride. you get a mile or 2 and it starts acting up runs fine under 5 or 6,000 rpm

i have found that it has week spark almost no spark then you can sit and rev it up no matter how far the throttle is opened it it acts like a rev limiter around 5. if you hold it open and take the plug wire off one side it does not change at all at, idle the bike will die if a plug wire is pulled. while holding it open it back fire through the exhaust which tells me that there is to much fuel in the exhaust and it smells rich. cdi seams to be working fine from what i have read and tested. also the starter does not hold to crank the bike contently seems like a clutch lets go and just the starter turns and the engine stops that also gets worse as it gets hotter. just wondering if any one can help with problem so i know were to go next. thanks damien

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
sounds like the stator is giving up the fight or that the main fuse is busted i would check the main fuse near the battery

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Get a pair of insulated pliers and whilst the bike is idling pull each spark plug cap of just a little away from the plug one at a time.If the bike dies when you remove one side but doesn't die if you pull the other post that result back.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Sounds like the High voltage bobbin has gone on the stator. Carbs must be OK, if it idles/rides when cold

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the main fuse is good. when pulling plug wires it dies right a way no matter what when the right plug is pulled. when the left is pulled takes a sec for it to die but if the choke is on it the bike is at 2000 and it drops to 1000rpm. to me the bike has not had much power all year then it started this. all most ran like it was week. but i have never ridden it when it ran good but i am used to a 1200 so i am not shore how much power it is suppose to have. i have done some reading on the form and was wondering if the stator was going out. thanks for the help

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
If the CDI side of the stator is bad (blue & white wires), and the charging side is OK, you can eliminate the problem without having to change the stator. If you use an ignitech CDI module in place of the OEM one you eliminate the high voltage (CDI).

I'm hosting a group buy on them now if you'd like to go that route:

Ignitech Group Buy Info

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
If the CDI side of the stator is bad (blue & white wires), and the charging side is OK, you can eliminate the problem without having to change the stator. If you use an ignitech CDI module in place of the OEM one you eliminate the high voltage (CDI).

I'm hosting a group buy on them now if you'd like to go that route:

Ignitech Group Buy Info

There's also a,"Ray module" that does away with the High Voltage CDI supply,

http://australiancx.asn.au/forum/index.php?topic=6639.0;highlight=ray+module

·
Registered
22 Posts
The bike monte4683 talking about is mine. He is my son so it sounds like i need a new stator or the logic tech box. will that fix the starter too? It kicks out or do we need to replace the starter drive inside motor. I may have a good stator from the burnt bike.How could we check it? The motor is out. Thanks Larry

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
The bike monte4683 talking about is mine. He is my son so it sounds like i need a new stator or the logic tech box. will that fix the starter too? It kicks out or do we need to replace the starter drive inside motor. I may have a good stator from the burnt bike.How could we check it? The motor is out. Thanks Larry

The starter motors are quite robust so you should strip it and check it and if no real damage service.That is covered in the manual.I'd buy a hard-back manual as well as a downloadable one,

http://coodie.com/cx/

But if it's the starter Flywheel and clutch mechanism then that will have to be addressed but you would know that if you take the engine out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have 2 starters i bought 1 from i think frizts on here but lives close i picked it up they booth do the same thing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
What all is needed to replace the stator and i know it has been on here put i cant find it. I have a stator used.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
It could be the stator (likely), or it could be the CDI box, or it could be both. It's a crap shoot to put in a used stator, if you transfer it over attached to the rear case off a spare engine there's a much better chance of not disturbing anything, the epoxy on those hold up very well but can crack in the process or removal/installation. You should also take great care with the harness inside the engine, a couple of mm and the flywheel will cut into it, make sure it's well secured and back in the case.

If you've got the engine out, may as well check the cam chain and tensioner, and all the other fun stuff you can do while there, such as changing all the oil seals, O rings and gaskets, along with the mechanical and oil seal at the water pump. This is of course if you intend on keeping the bike for a good while. Or you could just slap in the new stator and ride it to take advantage of the rest of the riding season and tackle the triple bypass over the winter.

If the starter is crunching or not catching, chances are you have a bad starter clutch. Check it for ridges where the rollers and springs operate, and make sure that all the spacers/washers are where they're supposed to be. When pulling the rear case, push the gear shift shaft in so that it stays with the engine, you can bend the spring (as me how I know)if it stays with the rear cover.

If you're going to keep the bike, get the Ignitech, like I stated above the ignitech eliminates the need for the high side. Your CDI and any CDI you get will be around 30 years old, it's not a matter or IT it'll fail soon, it's a matter of when. The original CDI's are all getting long in the tooth.

If you search through the posts on this board, you'll see that just about everything you'll need to know whichever way you decide to go has probably been addressed. A good place to start would be blindstich's references link that's sticky'd in the General Forum.

Quick Reference

1 - 13 of 13 Posts