Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a few used windjammer type fairings around. I there any reason why I should/should not put a large fairing on my '81 CX500 deluxe? also what would be a fair (no pun intended) price for a used but good fairing?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
My first bike was a CX 500 Custom with a Vetter Fairing on it. I never had any trouble with it. As always price depends on condition and location. In my neck of the woods a fairing in excellent condition will run between 100 and 125 dollars. If the contion isn't as good you can pick one up for less.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I love mine, keeps the wind and rain off of me, and helps balance the look of my hard bags.

100-125 seems like a fair price to me too.

Make sure it comes with the correct bracket, an wiring harness. You can wire it up yourself if you have to though.

Mike

·
Registered
511 Posts
Jammers and Hondalines will give you a longer riding season due to the protection they afford. If you can get some lowers on that buggar you'll create a bubble of warmth that you will enjoy when other naked or small shield riders are home on the couch wishing they were upright on two wheels. You will notice sounds from your engine that you never normally heard because they were being blown past in the wind. Hearing the little ticks and tacks from your twisted twin will become normal as you enjoy the wind protection. At first you might feel like you are driving a boat because of all the up front stuff but, you will very soon learn to really like it. 125 bucks for a non cracked up vetter is a good price. Check closely that it hasn't been hard dumped on the side.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Jammers and Hondalines will give you a longer riding season due to the protection they afford. If you can get some lowers on that buggar you'll create a bubble of warmth that you will enjoy when other naked or small shield riders are home on the couch wishing they were upright on two wheels. You will notice sounds from your engine that you never normally heard because they were being blown past in the wind. Hearing the little ticks and tacks from your twisted twin will become normal as you enjoy the wind protection. At first you might feel like you are driving a boat because of all the up front stuff but, you will very soon learn to really like it. 125 bucks for a non cracked up vetter is a good price. Check closely that it hasn't been hard dumped on the side.

My bike has a Hondaline fairing, my wife's old bike just has a small windshield. She rode my bike a couple of times at the end of last season. After the first ride on my bike in cood weather, she promply informed me that I needed to find a fairing for her bike. I have since procured a "new" GL 500 for her complete with fairing w/lowers and hardbags. Getting it up and running at this time.

·
Super Moderator
15,419 Posts
It's all mix and match. I don't like fairings but I like my plexistar 2 windshield. If I don't want it on the bike it takes 30 seconds to take it off.

·
Super Moderator
15,419 Posts
What differences should I notice in gas mileage; faring vs. windshield vs. naked?

That's a pretty hard question to answer as I have gotten anywhere between 44-52mpg with my windshield and similar without it.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I think it might be cheaper for me to ship a Vetter to MO on the front of my motorcycle than in the back of a UPS truck
anything under 250 in good+ condition would be cheap IMO... these things new, are ridiculous expensive.

I'm not a fan of farings nor windshields... it d way I roll.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.