Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be mounting my Hondaline fairing this weekend, and I was wondering if you put the fairing mount on the fairing first - or do you mount the fairing mount to the bike first and then mount the fairing to it? Also, is it difficult to mount the fairing to the bike - I haven't had a chance to look at it yet. It is going on a '81 Gl500i. Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Put the frame on first. The fairing itself is pretty easy to attach to the frame. Suggested 2 people to put it on, with it being your first time... but when you are used to it, one person can do it no problem.

·
Registered
168 Posts
If you are fitting a fairing to a Gl500, besides the fairing mounting frame you will also need the fairing wiring adapter harness, the wire box and cover with its two clamps that clamp on the top front suspension and although not essential there is a rubber wind deflector that would get mounted on a small frame that attaches to the brake hose splitter. You may have a single brake system and I am not sure where it would fit then.

Of course there are also the front lower panels that should have come with the fairing/mounting frame.

Watch the location of the throttle and choke cables and the cluch and tach cables when you install the fairing frame. Sometimes it is easier to relocate the cluctch and tach cable out of the way during installation and feed them through after the top bracket is in place before tightening the bottom bolts.

You'll see what I mean when you get there.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Watch the location of the throttle and choke cables and the cluch and tach cables when you install the fairing frame. Sometimes it is easier to relocate the cluctch and tach cable out of the way during installation and feed them through after the top bracket is in place before tightening the bottom bolts.

You'll see what I mean when you get there.

Cheers!

+1- the PO of mine relocated the clutch cable alright! Right next to to exhaust and melted it! I just got a new one last weekend.......

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
The easy way to do it is to also mount the curved parts to the lower part of the fairing and then mount the faring to the fairing mount. Then it is easier to align everything.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your answers! I am getting ready to pull the fairing apart for painting today. I don't know if it has the wiring harness or not. It does seem to have a wiring connector coming out on the bottom right. My bike currently has the standard turn signals and headlight unit. I don't know if the bike has the box you are talking about. Does it have to have one? Is this just to hide wiring? Also, will the connector for the fairing already be on the bike, or will I have to wire everything up - one wire at a time? I'm flying blind, and cannot afford to spend any more money - my wife will KILL ME!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
On my GL500 the wiring plugs right into the fairing.... on the bottom left. If you look at your fairing you should have a place to plug your wiring in on the bottom left side- wiring one by one would be too tedious

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
The wiring block is on the left side of my fairings as well. The "black box" is what all the wiring gets stuffed in. You can probably live without it, but it will be messy. When I go back out into the garage I will get some pics on and off the bike for you. Probably be 3 or 4 hours before I get them up.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
" My bike currently has the standard turn signals and headlight unit."

Is the fairing you are putting on come off the same bike you are putting it back onto?

According to your bottom line, you have 2 "Interstates". UNLESS some previous owner decided to make a "naked" Interstate out of it, it shouldn't have ANY headlight NOR turn-signals, EXCEPT on the fairing.

If that is just a single wire coming off the bottom right, THAT is probably the ground wire.

IF, as the case may be, you are putting this fairing onto a "naked-GL" (only one single disc brake in front). SAVE the headlight mount and turn-signals.

Not sure where the plug for the fairing is on the "Honda-Line", but, on my (Vetter) "windjammer"it's on the bottom left.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is what I've currently got. A '82 GL500 that I bought from the previous owner with the Interstate bags and no fairing. PO said that the owner before him took the fairing off and put on the headlight and turn signals from another bike - Who knows what has been done - it even had a CX Deluxe Tank on it. All of the wires are just bundled behind the current headlight. I bought the fairing and mount from a guy on Ebay. The wiring harness for the fairing is coming out the left side with a connector, a green wire and a black wire. Is all the wiring I need (and the connector to plug into the fairing harness) behind my current headlight, or is there another harness I am going to have to buy that might have been in that black box? It is hard to see everything on my wife's Interstate without tearing it apart to get to the box.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
There just MAYBE a taped up connector behind the headlight, but kinda doubt it. You will need to count the number of pins in the female connector, I THINK it's 9.

Go here: http://www.craigvett...ils.html#anchor (about 5/8ths down the page)

Then go here: http://www.craigvett...nda%20GL500.pdf

Sorry, as I am not that prolific in making links. Just copy and paste it in your browser.

That 2nd link is a PDF file, so be advised.

I also thought I read where Craig Vetter made the "Honda-Line" fairings as well, so the color codes SHOULD match up. But check them yourself to be sure, as I've been wrong before.

Hope this helps ya out.

ROFL....OH!!!!!!!..it did it for me......COOL!!!!!!!

G'luck!!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
O.k., I got some pics for you.

This is the Hondaline wiring harness and the black box with cover that will replace the headlight bucket. One end of the wiring harness will plug into the fairing, while the other end will connect to a couple of wiring blocks that are currently connected inside your headlight bucket. You will remove the headlight bucket and both blinkers. I believe you have to relocate the horns and maybe a couple other items. I did this last year so if you run into any trouble let me know and I will look at one of our bikes and figure it out.

This is a close up of the end of the wiring harness that plugs into the fairing.

This is a close up of the wiring box.

Another pic of the wiring box as well as the wind damn beneath it.

Hope these pics help. If you need any help let me know.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the help!!!! I am missing the sub-harness for the fairing from the headlight area, so I got a good deal on one from ebay. I just need the box, or I might just tuck all the wires into a Crown Royal bag - just to be different. LOL

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
That spaghetti jungle of mine is zip-tied to the forks. The fairing hides it pretty well, but I also won't have to worry about winning any bike shows either........Lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.