Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

Yesterday I swapped the fairings of my 2 650T's. One of the bikes, the fairing sits 5mm lower on the left side than the fairing that came off of it! Result is that the glove box cover won't fit properly. I spent 2 hours trying to make it fit right, without success. Even tried the old one again and it fit fine. No idea what it can be.

Then the glove box covers. One bike seems to have a brand new one (no idea where it was obtained), but without the seals and a key that doesn't match the ignition key. Both won't stay properly and come loose at higher speeds. I am sure you all have that problem, but how to solve it?

Best regards,
Alexander

·
Registered
23 Posts
Is the subframe that holds the instrument cluster/headlight straight?
I just determined that mine is slightly bent. I have a second one, that seems to be "true". Using that, I created a grid on some cardboard, that lines up with bolt holes. Placing the suspect subframe onto the cardboard, showed that the bolt holes were out of place.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suspect it is not entirely straight, however, the original fairing fits fine and the original fairing and new fairing also both fit fine on my #2.

The solution to the glove box cover wanting to escape at high speeds was relatively simple: turn the lock 180 degrees, so it lock under the tank lip. By doing it that way, the actual lock lever is also resting against the tank, preventing the lid from sliding back, so prevent the front cover lip from escaping the fairing and fly away.

Next time the fairing needs to come off, I will look at the frame again. Better doing that when my frustration has calmed down :unsure:

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Your cover may be loose because you said there is no gasket,it did not come with one it's on the faring.If it is not on the fairing a bead of RTV silicone would work, let the bead cure for 24 hours before you put the cover on, more may be required,build it up in layers if needed where you need it but let each layer cure at a time.Mine broke and I found a used one on ebay.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts