Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disassembling the fairing for cleaning, repair, and painting. How can I remove the Honda badges intact? The color is going to be a deep, metallic purple. The badge in the pic was done with a black background because it was on the polished section. The other badges will have a chrome finish background to show up better against the dark color.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I'm pretty sure they are glued on. If so, a fishing line used as a saw would get it off.

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
I'm pretty sure they are glued on. If so, a fishing line used as a saw would get it off.

If that doesn't work guitar string.

I have one in my box just special for odd jobs.

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts

If that doesn't work guitar string.

I have one in my box just special for odd jobs.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm a bit confused what you are asking.

The badge is held on with two small plastic shafts that go through holes in the aluminum trim which in turn have two tiny push-on flat fasteners on the back side. These fasteners have small, one-way internal fingers that make them easy to install but a bear to remove. I've been successful in using a jewelers screwdriver to pry up the individual fingers so they release their grip on the plastic shaft. Once removed, one merely needs to tap down on the fingers with a hammer to make it usable again. My confusion is that this is easily seen from the back side. All badges for a Silverwing are attached in this fashion. Unless a previous owner broke the tabs and glued the badge on, which is not the factory attaching method. If you look at the fairing itself behind where this trim piece is mounted. you will see a dimple in the plastic to provide clearance for the two shafts.

If you are asking how to remove the gold (purple in your case) letters from the black background, I believe they are a one piece molding and cannot be separated.

Greg

·
Registered
546 Posts
I'm a bit confused what you are asking.

The badge is held on with two small plastic shafts that go through holes in the aluminum trim which in turn have two tiny push-on flat fasteners on the back side. These fasteners have small, one-way internal fingers that make them easy to install but a bear to remove. I've been successful in using a jewelers screwdriver to pry up the individual fingers so they release their grip on the plastic shaft. Once removed, one merely needs to tap down on the fingers with a hammer to make it usable again. My confusion is that this is easily seen from the back side. All badges for a Silverwing are attached in this fashion. Unless a previous owner broke the tabs and glued the badge on, which is not the factory attaching method. If you look at the fairing itself behind where this trim piece is mounted. you will see a dimple in the plastic to provide clearance for the two shafts.

If you are asking how to remove the gold (purple in your case) letters from the black background, I believe they are a one piece molding and cannot be separated.

Greg
The side moldings for sure on both my fairings were glued on Greg, as were the Interstate badges on my luggage. The only ones I've seen with the pegs are on the side-covers.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm referring to the side badges on the fairing. The pictur is the one on the front band that I'vve already modified. I was trying to be sure that the side badges were not held on by a similar fastener that I could not see.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got the badges off intact. They were, in fact, just held on with some very sticky adhesive. Picture show the after blasing with glass bead media in prep for painting. Wish I'd had my new blast cabinet set up before I did the front badge. These will turn out much better, I think.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Primed, sprayed with a "chrome" paint, sanded letters & handpainted purple metallic. Looked pretty good. Decided to give 'em a clear topcoat to improve gloss & protect. Within seconds "chrome" became sort of a gun metal gray. Doesn't look bad just not what I had in mind. As a matter of fact, I showed to a biker friend & he liked 'em so much ("chrome is overrated", sayeth the rider of a rat Harley), he suggested my paint job consist of the Metallic Purple & Gray to match. What do you think?

·
Registered
745 Posts
NICE,,,, you know I'll try the glass bead,, i hope they come out like yours,,,,,, is the glass bead expensive ?

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got a blast cabinet from Harbor Freight. Caught it on sale & used a 20% coupon as well. $179.00. The glass bead media wasn't very expensive. I got a 50 lb. bag at Norton Sandblasting Equipment for $21.00.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts