Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am hoping to become a new CX500 owner soon and wanted to make sure I am getting (and giving) a good deal. I found this posting on craigslist and thought the price seemed too high. Its a 1979 CX500 Custom with 14,000 miles, it doesn't run, and it is missing the air cleaners. He listed it for $1895. What do you think would be a fair offer, or should I avoid this bike all-together since it isn't running?

Here is a link to the post: https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/mcy/d/1979-honda-cx500-custom/6594669390.html

I appreciate any input, and I apologize if I broke some posting rules or put this in the wrong category.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Just for comparison, my 1978 CX with just over 8K miles was $1400.. but that's here in the San Francisco Bay Area, where pretty much every bike (and everyTHING) on Craigslist is overpriced.
It was complete and running but not well... took it to Larry's and now it runs like a champ. But it's no longer a $1400 bike! Add a new tire, new seat cover, new battery etc.

If you had your heart set on some obscure Spanish two-stroke or something, that would be one thing... but the CX/GL series sold in vast numbers.. chances are pretty good that a clean, running, low mile specimen will come on the market for quite a bit less than $1900.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Your would-be seller is delusional. He can't get past "CX=$$$". I'll get to that, at the end.

Agreed: No more than $500. Not even! Typical Craigslist asking prices for a running bike in the Northeast, if the bike is shabby and needs much TLC, tend to go $500-to-$1200. In autumn 2016, I did not want to spend over $500, and I searched for around two months before getting my current '81 CX Deluxe, with its running condition unknown, as it had been sitting for years.

If you know it is NOT running, I would not pay over $300. $400-$500 if it could be cleaned up easily. Either nobody has seriously tried to wake her up, or something bad has happened to her.

If has been simply sitting and nobody knows if it runs: $300-$500. (I am a very patient man, keep in mind.) Rationale: CX-es are extremely hard to kill. Long-stagnant examples will continue to wake up and roar--and then need all their seals and every other rubber bit replaced.

If it IS running, that in itself would be worth about $500 to me ON TOP OF the base price regarding condition, so $800-$1200 if shabby; as much as $1800 if it sparkles and has been well-maintained. (Again: Robbie is a very patient man.) If not well-maintained, expect, again, to replace a lot of rubber bits, and likely dump money into overhauling the carbs and, especially, the brakes.

And, speaking personally, I would never buy a cafe-ed out CX without detailed records. You never know WHAT craziness some over-eager ding-dong has pulled on what was once a vintage bike with solid potential.

And I would probably not buy a vehicle going into, or within, the peak of the season, since it's far more likely to be a buyer's market after autumn arrives. But that's just me.

You then want to make sure 1) it won't kill you, 2) it will keep running and not strand you, and if it comes to it, 3) it can be made pretty. Keep in mind what just a clean, rust-free fuel tank with decently presentable paint will cost you if a bike doesn't already have one: around $300, minimum.

Ten years ago, before the cafe cuckoo craze set in, a running CX that had some wear and appearance issues would cost about $225. Then they became "hot". My CX is a reason for living, and there are TO-DIE-FOR cafe bikes out there, but the advent of hotness is not an evolution I'm celebrating without many, many grains of salt.

$525, autumn of 2016, 15,200 miles on the clock; engine condition: unknown:
https://cx500forum.com/forum/members/annuit-coeptis-albums-annuit-coeptis-picture171711-37286265-01x.html

And, yes, it was gunked up and abused, with carbs full of mung--but she ran as soon as she was boosted and fueled and hit with starter fluid, as I'd expected, having seen it happen before.

Now (about $2000 of necessities put in, plus maybe another $2000 to satisfy my own flights of fancy):
https://cx500forum.com/forum/members/annuit-coeptis-albums-annuit-coeptis-picture171733-image8734-modified.html

·
Registered
409 Posts

·
Registered
2,611 Posts

·
Registered
1,637 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
"To me any bike without a title is a parts bike..."

Here in California I think you can research the VIN# in advance to see what you're up against, i.e. back fees, etc. But I've never done a registration with a bill of sale only, not sure how much hassle it is. I guess the more rare/coveted the bike, the more hoops you'd be willing to jump through...

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Yeah, I think you can do it in Ca but it can end up costing you a bunch of money which is why I wouldn't pay more than $100 for anything without a title. I'm currently trying to get a bonded title for a "parts bike" in Ma that I paid $100 for.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I think you got your answer. Forget about that one as the owner is DELUSIONAL. I bought a 1980 Delux not running delivered to my house, with less then 3500 miles for $800. It needed carbs cleaned and rebuilt, rusty tank coated, PVC pipe spacers in front forks and new tires.

Offer what that bike is really worth the owner is going to get POed.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts