1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
I think that it is time for a signature update, just say'n kemo sahbee.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think that it is time for a signature update, just say'n kemo sahbee.
Yeah. I've asked for help. But it is stuck with the new forum software. Want to change my user name too, to no avail.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you plan to ride with those flapping in the wind? Not for me.
They really don't flap behind the windscreen. It has the Turbo off of LittleWing.
I'm going to move them around a little.
Good to break a stereotype.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
Yeah. I've asked for help. But it is stuck with the new forum software. Want to change my user name too, to no avail.
Yes, I didn't realize that had so much in your signature. Not to worry, Hi Ho Silver is quite appropriate.
1590024475580.gif

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I didn't realize that had so much in your signature. Not to worry, Hi Ho Silver is quite appropriate.
View attachment 200909 View attachment 200909
I thought the GL650 was Silver until I parked next to my Civic, which is Silver. It is actually Gray.

So then I thought of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser. I liked Fafhrd more than the Gray Mouser. The wife said I should check Fafhrd out, because as a Lit. major, it struck a bell with her.
And she was right. In Wagner's opera Siegfried, the Dragon Fafhrd is slain by Siegfried.
Fafhrd is based on Norse mythology: the Dwarf that is turned into a Dragon, Fafnir, which doesn't have the negative connection Wagner does. And I like Dwarves and Dragons and Norse Mythology.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
You can still hum "Ride of the Valkyries" while you ride.
I don't think much of Wagner's politics, but as a Horn player, I love his music.

Randall

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can still hum "Ride of the Valkyries" while you ride.
I don't think much of Wagner's politics, but as a Horn player, I love his music.
Randall
Yeah, Flight of the Valkyries is cool. It is so "Apocalypse Now." I played Coronet in H.S.
Only one of my two horns on the GL650 is working so I have been thinking about a replacement.

This has been the big eye opener for me doing genealogy. On my father's mother's side, my German speaking Swiss Mennonite ancestors got me plugged into european nobility because one of them was a Swiss Nobleman who relinquished his titles to become a Mennonite Bishop. He was one of the founders of German Town in Pennsylvania.
I had no idea I had any Scandinavian in my background, but this Great, Great connected me to Norway. I have Great Greats including St. Olaf, Duke Rollo the founder of Normandy and a Fjölnir, a pre-Norway King, who died after falling into a vat of Mead and drowning.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does this mean you will be looking for one of these to complete your stable?
Bob, That is my favorite looking Goldwing! Maybe a bike for a sidecar?
I think I need a bigger garage or move my pottery studio.
I also have my mother's mother, whose family name is Kawasaki. I've always liked their version of our Custom, The 454LTD.

·
Super Moderator
13,420 Posts
That's not a GoldWing. It is a Honda F6C Valkyrie. I would love to have one too but I don't think it will happen any time soon and if it ever did I would have to make a lot of changes. Mr.H (my GL1100/Dnepr sidecar outfit) fits into my parking space with not a huge amount of room to walk around. In fact, if I want to close the doors between the shop and the parking space I can barely fit between the back of the bike and the overhead door and a Valkyrie would be about 6" longer than the 1100.
And then there's the shed where it hibernates for the winter......

Edit: Changed 8" longer to 6". The Valk is 8" longer than a stock 1100 but mine has leading axle forks to reduce the trail for sidecar use.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its a GL1500C. It is to the Goldwing as the Silverwing is to the CX. The Japanese version with reverse would be awesome!

As much as I like the looks, I'm either putting a sidecare on Littlewing or looking for a older Goldwing or BMW with a side car already on it.

The Honda Valkyrie is a motorcycle that was manufactured by Honda from 1996 to 2003. It was designated GL1500C in the US market and F6C ("Flat Six Custom") in other markets.

The Valkyrie engine is a 1,520 cubic centimetres (93 cu in) liquid-cooled, horizontally opposed flat-six engine transplanted from Honda's Gold Wing model, unlike the V-twin engine commonly found on "cruiser" style motorcycles. In its transplant from the Goldwing, the most notable engine changes were the camshaft and the change to six individual 28 mm carburetors, one for each cylinder, changes which increased power and torque.

The Valkyrie was offered with a reverse gear in Japan. The Valkyrie was made in the United States at the Honda motorcycle plant in Marysville, Ohio.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
That's not a GoldWing. It is a Honda F6C Valkyrie.
That's a Goldwing-and-a-half!

EDIT: Oops! I forgot they had put a flat-six in the GW. The Valkyrie engine looks like a six cylinder version of the old opposed four. Aren't the newer Goldwings a flat inline engine?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
That's a Goldwing-and-a-half!

EDIT: Oops! I forgot they had put a flat-six in the GW. The Valkyrie engine looks like a six cylinder version of the old opposed four. Aren't the newer Goldwings a flat inline engine?
I think they are a six cylinder boxer style engine. 1833cc, Liquid-cooled, SOHC, 6-cylinder I am happy to see the new Goldwings are a little smaller and lighter these days.

Here is an older 1800cc engine (2002)

Here is a newer one, but I like the looks of the older ones like Bob shared better. A friend drove out form Oregon to see us on one just before we moved to Japan.

·
Super Moderator
13,420 Posts
Yep. GoldWings have always had opposed engines, 4 cylinder for the 1000, 1100 and 1200 and 6 cylinder for the 1500 and 1800.

Actually, the F6C Valkyrie (AKA GL1500C) is to the GoldWing as the CX500C is to the SilverWing, not the other way around. They continued making the GL1500 GoldWing for several years after the introduction of the Valkyrie (until the introduction of the GL1800 GoldWing) and they are very different machines. Interestingly, they produced Interstate versions of both models concurrently.
The 1500 GoldWing is a nice machine but it is the Valkyrie that I would want.
BTW: One of the proposed names for the Valkyrie was "Wide Wing".

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yep. GoldWings have always had opposed engines, 4 cylinder for the 1000, 1100 and 1200 and 6 cylinder for the 1500 and 1800.

BTW: One of the proposed names for the Valkyrie was "Wide Wing".
The old Valks are my favorite Goldwing,

here is a nice list:

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Maybe I'm thinking of the BMW K-series.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Maybe I'm thinking of the BMW K-series.
If I go newer, I might consider an NC750x i am not crazy about the adventure styling, but the MPG is amazing. The CTX700 has a smaller tank and no Frunk. I just wish it were shaft drive. I understand the first thing you have to do for touring is change the seat.
From what I have seen, buying used is best. After someone changes the seat,windscreen, etc. and then decides they really want an Africa Twin, Versys, or a KTM. I'm not interested in dirt riding, other than an occasional road back to a lake or a river etc

1 - 19 of 19 Posts