Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I spent about 3 hours this morning tearing the whole front of the bike apart to change the front cam seal and vacuum valve for the petcock. When I took the tach cable plate off I found an o-ring that wasn't shown on the parts diagram when I ordered the seal and flat gasket and I ended up reusing the o-ring. What is that o-ring for, it was around a dowel pin if that helps, because it is leaking oil even faster now! Should I go back and order a new cam seal flat gasket and that o-ring, I found it on another page in the parts book?

·
Registered
3,503 Posts

The one at the bottom? That's listed with the Cylinder Block in the fiche, #13.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Okay so I spent about 3 hours this morning tearing the whole front of the bike apart to change the front cam seal and vacuum valve for the petcock. When I took the tach cable plate off I found an o-ring that wasn't shown on the parts diagram when I ordered the seal and flat gasket and I ended up reusing the o-ring. What is that o-ring for, it was around a dowel pin if that helps, because it is leaking oil even faster now! Should I go back and order a new cam seal flat gasket and that o-ring, I found it on another page in the parts book?
Ohm,shep or someone preaches,.......leave that seal alone,clean it up well,seal externally with high temp. silicon...then forget about it..it spells trouble

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep the bottom one, I was going to silicon the seal but didn't for some reason. I am going to just go and get replacements for all three and silicone the gasket and o-ring.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Yep the bottom one, I was going to silicon the seal but didn't for some reason. I am going to just go and get replacements for all three and silicone the gasket and o-ring.
;)lol.a wing and a prayer

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so by sealing externally do you mean coating the outside around the seam with silicon to stop the tide of oil? The original cam seal was toast.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
so by sealing externally do you mean coating the outside around the seam with silicon to stop the tide of oil? The original cam seal was toast.
might be,but does it matter.?......where does the oil live,if not leaking out..in the sump.

we are talking about a tach[complicated]seal.

id spend my money and time elswhere

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
There's no need to silicone it, just a coating of hylomar on the gasket and a new O-ring. It's not a problem area unless you try to re-use the 30+ year old seal.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No I don't think it is leaking out of the tach seal, I think it is leaking out of the o-ring that Cobram is showing in his post. I changed the front cam seal and the flat gasket for the tach cable mounting plate but didn't have the lower o-ring.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Unfortunately the tach seal has been no longer available anywhere for a long time now. It's an oddball size.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
I've used O-rings from a general cheap O-ring kit in many places on my CXs with no problems,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/O-RI...temZ200541490483QQptZLHQ5fDefaultDomainQ5f100

Very useful to have around.

Some people may tell you that,"Viton©" O-rings are needed but this is usually conjecture and not based on practical usage.I've even got cheap Buna/Nitrile O-rings used in my Oil Orifices in the Cylinder heads and when inspected have faired no better or worse than Viton ones.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I went and ordered the parts again they should be here sometime next week so I can get it fixed again before the ride on the 26th.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Picked up the parts today so this evening since the sun is staying up later I went and changed out the seals again. Got it done in a hour and a half this time and even found the built in beer holders, Honda was way ahead of their time
I got all the seals changed out and this time I used a light bead of silicone around the flat gasket as well, being careful to not get any in the oil passages. I put it all back together tonight and am letting it set until the morning before firing it up again. Hopefully that fixes it this time, I wanna start working on the other motorcycle now that I have all the parts for it

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Unfortunately the tach seal has been no longer available anywhere for a long time now. It's an oddball size.

I feel bad, but i think i bought the last (2) tach seals that were available in Canada, when i did my "triple bypass" this winter.......

All The Best........keith.......

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I fired her up this morning and no more leaks, gonna take her for a quick ride around town to go pick up a few things this morning.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Took her out for a quick spin, 16 miles, no runs, no drips, no errors

1 - 18 of 18 Posts