Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I did the bypass on my '79 CX500D a couple of years ago, and I know I'll never give her up. But my son recently acquired a CX650 and we are in the middle of replacing the stator, cam chain, mech seal and starter clutch bearings (aka, the "quadruple bypass"). There will probably come a day when he will sell this and subsequent new owners will inevitably come to this forum and wonder to themselves, "has the bypass been done or should I drop the engine and do it?"

Now I like to save documentation of the repairs and upgrades I've done. I have a file with parts lists and I record the mileage I've put on between oil changes and all that, but documents can be lost or simply not passed on.

Has anybody found a good way to indicate in a permanent way what major maintenance or upgrades you've done? I was thinking perhaps one of those durable metallic stickers with the date, mileage and work performed, but there is probably a better way.

any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
15,349 Posts
I don't think there is a good way of documenting. As Murray said look for a gasket change but really that could show the least repair instead of everything that could be done.

I document my own and if the next person down the road doesn't believe what I have done then they can do it again for peace of mind. Usually I keep a photobucket folder showing the pictures of the engine coming apart. I hope to be the next person doing a triple bipass on my gl650i and cx500 supertanker knowing that i've already done this in the past. These are my keepers.

·
Super Moderator
22,012 Posts
The replaced gasket tells you that somebody has been inside, but not what they did. I'm doing a triple on one now that showed newish green gaskets at the front and rear cover. The camchain is stuffed and the stator is a dark red so I'd say neither were replaced leading me to conclude it's had a new mech. seal recently-ish.

When I did irrigation I used to tag solenoids with the plastic from ice cream cartons with the relevent info stamped on with alphabetical punches. Perhaps a tag like this may help?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got it! I can create a new google account with an email address specifically to the bike, then upload everything to google docs and email. Then I make a metal tag and scribe it with something like: "go to [email protected] for a detailed history of maintenance and upgrades." with the password, of course.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts