Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Fellas,

So I got my raesan all up and going with my murray carbs and have been putting the miles on the bike for the past 3 days. I've noticed a lot vibration though around 2-3k rpms whether or no the driveline is engaged or not. I did install the g8 stator in place of the g47, not sure if that makes any difference. Engine runs great, just vibrates super bad at lower rpms. I'm pulling the engine next week to check it out becuase I don't wanna do any damage. Anyone have experience with this or have anything I should look for in particular? I'll post some pics once I get the back cover off. Thanks fellas

[Solved] See post on page 3

·
Registered
961 Posts
I'm experiencing nearly the same type of problem. I have vibration that gets quite noticeable at 4-5k rpm that's driving me nuts and killing my feet. I've even changed engines but transferred the rear cover with the stator. Don't know if it's clutch, exhaust or something else. New cam chain and slippers/guides even. I'm watching your post for ideas. Hope you don't mind.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm experiencing nearly the same type of problem. I have vibration that gets quite noticeable at 4-5k rpm that's driving me nuts and killing my feet. I've even changed engines but transferred the rear cover with the stator. Don't know if it's clutch, exhaust or something else. New cam chain and slippers/guides even. I'm watching your post for ideas. Hope you don't mind.
Yeah, sounds almost exactly the same. You really feel it in the feet. Did you install a raesan unit also?

Thanks Murray, I sent Ray an email. I’ll keep y’all posted with what the verdict is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
961 Posts
No Rae-San. Still running the CDI and a new Stator from David Silver.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did not. I didn't see any instructions on rays manual in that area. The only thing I use a torque wrench on was the main rear cover reinstall.

·
Registered
961 Posts
fsj did yoy use a torque wrench t tighten the rotor?

Yup. Good and tight with blue loctite. Same as all the other times I've put an engine together. Would that cause vibration, Murray?

·
Registered
961 Posts
Yeah, sounds almost exactly the same. You really feel it in the feet. Did you install a raesan unit also?

Thanks Murray, I sent Ray an email. I’ll keep y’all posted with what the verdict is.

Luke, does it feel like it's not as responsive to throttle when it vibrates? Seems to me if it were misfiring or running fluffy we'd feel a difference in performance when it's vibrating. Yes? No? Maybe?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Luke, does it feel like it's not as responsive to throttle when it vibrates? Seems to me if it were misfiring or running fluffy we'd feel a difference in performance when it's vibrating. Yes? No? Maybe?
Nope, it’s super snappy. Absolutely flies compared to what it did before. I went 110mph and still wasn’t topped out. Only thing I’ve noticed is that it won’t idle well, but I think Murray said that would be normal until I changed my exhaust and dropped the h-box.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Stator isn't cocked because it's sitting on its wiring?
Nope. I doubt it. I took great care in seating it flat.

Reactions: CXPHREAK

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
fsj did yoy use a torque wrench t tighten the rotor?

Yup. Good and tight with blue loctite. Same as all the other times I've put an engine together. Would that cause vibration, Murray?
Same. I used loctite on most everything.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry to bang the same drum again. Did the ground screw on the stator core need moving? Sometimes it doesn't align with the cutout in the Rear covers stator mounting area and THIS causes cocking and rubbing on the rotor.

:)
That’s a good question. I honestly have no idea. I may need to just take it out and see. I would hate to do damage to the case.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What brand and type of stator?. Maybe others here have installed the same unit and may care to offer their observations.

Might save you some work and muttering.
Good idea. I used the Electrosport Industries Stator ESG083 (ESG083). Found it recommended a few places online. I removed the stock pickups too from the g47, just in case that makes any difference.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It doesn't mean anything to me, but hopefully it will to someone.

That is a G47 equivalent?
Yes. To my knowledge. 3 or 4 others have mentioned on this forum from electro sport.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts