Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
I have finally fitted my Murray’s H box delete upswept pipes.
I have fitted 2 new header pipes, had the upswepts welded to them, then added 2 megaphone mufflers.
Question is, I’m running them with no baffles, so fairly loud, but I’m still using standard airbox and filter.
Starts and runs fine, but I havnt been too far on it yet, as bad weather and family things have got in the way.
Will there be a ‘back pressure issue?
Do I need to rejet the carbs?
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
4,111 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A browse through similar posts, Search results for query: H box delete rejet carbs , suggest that re-jetting is not necessary if just the H box is deleted.
Ok. I’ve looked, and I don’t think I can find the right answer.
On my CX500 Euro, I put new headers, then welded on 2 new Murray upswepts then added 2 afrtermarker mufflers.This was done with no rejetting and with original airbox.
Went for a ride and it was deafening and I noticed a lack of power at low revs, and top end wasn’t good.
Came home and swopped the mufflers our for an old pair of chrome sportster ones that I got for a fiver.
Guess what?
Bike seemed to have more acceleration, not sure about top end, but definitely quieter to ride for longer.
So how do I make the aftermarket mufflers quieter?
Do I need to add baffles to Murrays upswepts?
Thanks in advance, anyone.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I picked these up for a fiver off of a guy I know that builds choppers. I like the sound, but to be honest, not sure if I like the chrome. Can they be blasted and painted? Powder coated?
Thanks.
I prefer these, but they are really loud, and give me a headache. Also, power seems down with them.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Takin’ the piss, are you?

·
Registered
967 Posts
Soggz,

I have a pair of HD mufflers like you have pictured (not installed yet, came with the bike) and they weigh a TON! Do yours weigh a ton also? Since i already have them (and they are free) i was wanting to use them but they are so heavy i was wondering if there are better ideas out there that don't break the bank.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Soggz,

I have a pair of HD mufflers like you have pictured (not installed yet, came with the bike) and they weigh a TON! Do yours weigh a ton also? Since i already have them (and they are free) i was wanting to use them but they are so heavy i was wondering if there are better ideas out there that don't break the bank.
Yeah. Mine weigh a ton as well. I’m using them until I sort some baffles out for the black ones in the other pic, as they are just too loud and actually give me a headache!
The Harley ones sound better, but they are really heavy. I can see why people who buy Harley’s get rid of them straight away, they are shite! That’s why they were only £5.00!
The black ones I have were only £16.00 each off of fleabay.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Actually, the stock Harley mufflers are well made with thick chrome. Unlike a lot of aftermarket options, they should last as long as the stock Honda mufflers did. That's why they seem to be the replacement of choice on our old CXs.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually, the stock Harley mufflers are well made with thick chrome. Unlike a lot of aftermarket options, they should last as long as the stock Honda mufflers did. That's why they seem to be the replacement of choice on our old CXs.
Maybe, but they are heavy as hell.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not disputing that. I have a pair on the shelf. But they are a quality part, not "shite."
They are quite shite, if your after performance and weight saving.
Fine on cruisers and town rat/hack/winter bikes. No good for cafe racers.
But each to their own.
The ones I have, won’t be staying on my bike, that’s for sure!
Shame you don’t live here.
You could have em if you want.

·
Registered
683 Posts
They are probably cheaper/easy to find in the US.
Hard to source a cheap set here..:(..so I went a chrome 2 into 1 bout 10year ago which is now suffering from coastal/beachside living.Rechroming seems expensive here-the prep work the bigger component.
Thinking about stainless 2into1 now as better garage for the bikes...but I'll see if the expense is justified (might do more to the CB.....)

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Soggz got a better deal than I did. In my area, it seems that a lot of the dealers have figured out the value of these as replacements on old metric bikes. I've never seen them as throw-aways, as some have claimed. That may have been true years ago. I think I paid 25 or 30 dollars to a private seller, and that seemed like a lucky find.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Soggz got a better deal than I did. In my area, it seems that a lot of the dealers have figured out the value of these as replacements on old metric bikes. I've never seen them as throw-aways, as some have claimed. That may have been true years ago. I think I paid 25 or 30 dollars to a private seller, and that seemed like a lucky find.
Yep as I recall the HD dealer wanted bout $300AUD (?bout $150US at the time) for the USED pair after seeing me arrive on my Honda- adding as they are not new they'll have some dents.......

A little more got me the locally produced 2 into1.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cruiser exhaust on a cafe racer? That's just misapplication, not a quality of the item itself.
Yeah, your right! I just put them on until I get the other ones baffled, like I wrote earlier.
Don’t worry about the ‘shite’ comment.
British humour, were famous for it!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh, and a bike breaker local to me, can’t move for all the spare CX dunstall type rear tailpipes he has here. He bought a job lot of about 10 pairs, brand new, boxed.
No one wants them anymore!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My mate imports Harley’s from the states. He only uses the engine and front parts of the frame, then welds hardtails onto them. He makes his own exhausts and has a shelf full of 2nd hand tailpipes!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts