Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What I have on my bike barely works. Some of you may even cringe. I need options and thoughts from you fine folk.. Because I am not comfortable leaving things the way they are for much longer. I'm sure it is hurting my mileage and is harder to dial in the carb mix screws. I have the normal headers going into a stock H-Box, but I dont have a gasket in there or a good clamp. All I have is an exhaust clamp on there meant for a car.

It has taken a lot of money and work to get the bike as far as it is. Been trying hard to get it to the status of "dependable". And this exhaust, needs a bit of cleaning up
The only gaskets that are on there are on the head to the headers. Unless you count the JB Weld and some exhaust paste. Enough talk, here is what we have......

There is an H-Box there and some kind of Harley cans.

Leaky!

Passanger Peg cutting it close. Thought about sticking a bolt in the hole as a footpeg.

No bracket

Lost those 2 bolts, need to find a bolt and nut that will fit. See it above the starter. Hmmm... what's missing in this picture? lol

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I would probably change the "U" bolts on the front joins to Stainless steel clamps, they come in various sizes and widths that would look quite OK. If you want to put some header wrap around the pipes going into the H box - then it might also plug a few small holes. Same goes for where the rear mufflers lock into the H box, for the clamps and the header wrap.

That looks nice and solid to me - use what you have until you absolutely have to replace them.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was putting a RH foot peg on left deliberate Nate?

******* rear sets mebbe ?

Good eyes sir!!! I DID mean to do that. Seemed the most comfortable out of all the options I tried. It doesnt look like it, but I did have most every piece off the bike at one time, to get things painted. It was the worst rust bucket ever. Maybe I should pick up another set of rear pegs. Sometimes I just do the best with what I have.
When i put the bike back together, I didnt know which was the front pair or the rear. That's what I came up with

·
Registered
977 Posts
What I have on my bike barely works. Some of you may even cringe. I need options and thoughts from you fine folk.. Because I am not comfortable leaving things the way they are for much longer. I'm sure it is hurting my mileage and is harder to dial in the carb mix screws. I have the normal headers going into a stock H-Box, but I dont have a gasket in there or a good clamp. All I have is an exhaust clamp on there meant for a car.

It has taken a lot of money and work to get the bike as far as it is. Been trying hard to get it to the status of "dependable". And this exhaust, needs a bit of cleaning up
The only gaskets that are on there are on the head to the headers. Unless you count the JB Weld and some exhaust paste. Enough talk, here is what we have......

There is an H-Box there and some kind of Harley cans.

Leaky!

Passanger Peg cutting it close. Thought about sticking a bolt in the hole as a footpeg.

No bracket

Lost those 2 bolts, need to find a bolt and nut that will fit. See it above the starter. Hmmm... what's missing in this picture? lol

You do not want a BOLT for a foot peg. They are designed to fold. If you catch the bolt on something you will have grief that you will not be happy about. Billrod

·
Registered
710 Posts
Nate,If it works for now use it. the clamps are fairly cheap, i picked mine up for the HD mufflers when i got them 14.00 for 2 clamps from HD cause honda did not have them in stock. i saw them pretty cheap on the bay also. before i found the HD ones fit i was gonna do the auto muffler clamp also. looking good so far like the red motor it's different

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nate,If it works for now use it. the clamps are fairly cheap, i picked mine up for the HD mufflers when i got them 14.00 for 2 clamps from HD cause honda did not have them in stock. i saw them pretty cheap on the bay also. before i found the HD ones fit i was gonna do the auto muffler clamp also. looking good so far like the red motor it's different

Can you be a little more specific? I've spent $$ already from the bay, for clamps that wont work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.