Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! About a year ago I picked up a somewhat beat up 1982 CX500c. I say somewhat because I've seen much worse, but it's all relative so you can be the judge. At the time it wasn't running, but after a carb cleaning and new sparkplugs it perked right up. It definitely still has some issues, but nothing to complain about considering the bike itself only cost me $200. I've since done some cosmetic repairs (getting missing fenders, doing a cheap paint job, replacing the dim tail light, etc) but what I'm running into now is a problem with the exhaust.

It seems one of the previous owners (I honestly don't know how many owners this bike has gone through so "someone in the past") decided they wanted a meaner sound out of the bike so they completely knocked the baffles out of the pipes. From what I can tell, other than the missing baffles, the exhaust is completely stock and in rather nice condition for it's age. There are some rust spots on the headers, but nothing all that bad. If his objective was indeed to get a meaner sound out of the thing, he got just that. I'll be honest, it dances the fine line between "awesome" and "obnoxious." My problem is that I have virtually no back-pressure, and no low-end power.

So, what I'm looking for is some opinions and/or input on tailpipes (preferably from the h-box back) that mount relatively easy, are fairly cheap, and would especially return that back-pressure the bike so desperately needs. I've been browsing e-bay and found a couple I like ranging from $50 to $70 which would do the job, I just thought I'd ask here first.

Also, let it be said that I have looked into the mac 2into1 system, and though I like it, I really can't justify spending the $270-ish on one. Therefore I won't be going this route (unless someone knows of where I might pick one up for under $100
).

Thanks in advanced for any and all help and input! I've been in and around this site a couple times and always enjoy what I read! Photos are mostly of the paintjob I did a couple weeks ago (the bike was a "sparkly purple" when I first got it and that just wasn't right with me).

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
I bought a pair of Harley Dyna customer "takeoffs" from a mechanic at the local dealer last year. Cost was $50 and included the heat shields. They bolt right up just by rotating the stock brackets a little. Awesome sound (not too loud) and no rejetting required. Many on this forum have done the same with good results. There are usually some available on eBay as well.

·
Super Moderator
15,417 Posts

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Well, finally decided to take the plung as my bike too has the baffles punched out. Mine also border on annoying and even drives mew crazy when Im riding it.

Went to Ebay and purchased a set of dyna ones, but it was slim picking and I sure hope I can use these without too many modifications. Since I cost me $60.00 + $55.00 for shipping (the pain of living in Canada) I will make them work no matter what. The ones I got were;

Chrome Mufflers~FXD Dyna & FLS/FXS Softail~65413-00

Keeping my fingers crossed its a simple add on :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hadn't even looked at Harley mufflers.... those actually look like they'll do exactly what I need too. I found a couple that look like they should work on ebay but I'll check out some area dealers and such first just to cut that shipping cost out of the equation. Thanks for the quick responses guys!

·
Registered
595 Posts
So...looks like instead of starting a new thread I can hop into this one

My CX custom runs with stock exhaust, and I haven't had any desire to touch it due to fear of messing with the performance. Now, I've gotten a bit sick of the "tractor" noise the bike gives off sometimes, and want to make it sound a little bit more "mean" BUT I don't want to hinder my mileage, or performance...nor do I want to rejet. I also don't want it to sound like a Harley or to be overly loud. I just want it to have a little bit more of a growl.

Am I asking too much, or is it possible to pull this off somehow? I've heard that punching some holes through the bottom of the exhaust might help, but I also don't want to ruin my stock pipes, so that seems to be out of the question unless I find other pipes to experiment with.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just got a pair of harley mufflers of the ebay for $1.25 (plus the $30 shipping). I have no idea if they'll fit straight to the mounts, but for that price I'll rig up something to make them fit. I'll try to take before and after vids as well as pics throughout the swapout.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mufflers just got here! They're a little longer than stockers, but I think they'll still look good. Time to get them rigged up!

Update: New mufflers slip right into the h-box rather easily which is a huge relief. However, they are about 10 inches longer than the stock ones so they stick out just slightly past the rear tire. Though this looks a little awkward, I think I'll be ok with it. I will need to fabricate completely new mounts for them so I'm going to take the bike over a friend's who has a bunch of scrap metal and some sweet welding skills. I did start the bike up once with the mufflers just slipped in the h-box and I must say they sound good. They have a nice low rumble, but not loud or obnoxious at all. Also, I no longer had any backfiring. No road test as of yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
These aren't the Dyna's, or at least weren't listed as such. I knew about the dimensions prior to purchasing them, I just didn't actually bother thinking "hmm, 30 inch mufflers are actually kinda long..."

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks pretty close. Only difference I see is mine aren't slash-cut. Do you happen to have any detailed pics of how you mounted yours? I've got a couple ideas for brackets but still looking around for anything better.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Get some sportster mufflers and sell those, AGB-1 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/stoc...3576163QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories They will be easier to fit.

Thanks for the find, I'm going to look into those. From what I've come up with, those long ones would need one hell of a bracket to hold.

Does anyone know the year and model of those Harley mufflers. I have a sidecar on my GL500 and need longer mufflers to get back past the car.

Thanks Ken

I'm not quite sure the make or model for the long mufflers I currently have. The only thing identifying on them is "Har FLT1340/1450." However, if I'm able to get those sportster pipes, these will be up for sale. They do have about a 3" diameter down the entire shaft so make sure that will work for you.

If I can get those (or some other more easily fit mufflers for cheap) I'll let you have these for whatever the cost of shipping is.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.