Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Exhaust system cat remove.

Would this do anything to the back-compression of the bike. The engine is standard except for the Harley Davidson exhaust.
I have a 1981 Cx500.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
If you are referring to the H-box under the engine then yes, you will need to rejet if you go to straight through pipes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Sorry I don't know everything about bikes. What if I remove the Cat out of the exhaust?

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
You mean baffles!
It will get louder but as long as the H-box is in place you will not need to rejet.

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
A little terminology would help clarification.

CAT is short for Catalitic Converter. These bikes do not have a catalitic converter. CATs are typically filled with a expensive mix of chemicals to convert noxious exhaust into harmless tailpipe emissions.

H-box is the large exhaust expansion chamber under the bike. It is a common volume shared by both cylinders. Each header dumps into this common chamber. This is a source of mythconception. The myth is each header exhausts from the muffler on the header side of the bike. Actually, both mufflers are exhausting one cylinder at a time.

Baffles are the restriction plates inside the mufflers located on side of bike. The baffles are design in such a manner to reduce and absorb exhaust sound.

Now, I suppose you could have a Tabby or Siamese cat under your bike....If so, then it should be removed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts