Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know on cars, exhaust leaks when they start, sound like a 'ticking' sound. I have a new sound up front on the bike, it sounds side specific, and if I could try to describe it it sounds like a hollow conk sort of sound. Like a dowel rod hitting the side of a 4 gallon bucket. Another similar sound would be to tap an empty paper towel tube with a pencil. I wish I had a way to record and post it.

other than colder temperatures is there any way to confirm a leaking exhaust gasket?

if I get into the exhaust head gasket rings, am I opening up a can of worms by possibly disturbing the rest of the exhaust connections before and after the H-pipe? or can I change out the rings fairly easily?

Thanks,

Rick

·
Super Moderator
2,851 Posts
The exhaust leak sounds are usually ticking sounds just like any car. The deeper sound your describing makes me think you should check the fan to see if it's coming loose from the center hub.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The exhaust leak sounds are usually ticking sounds just like any car. The deeper sound your describing makes me think you should check the fan to see if it's coming loose from the center hub.
Sounds like an important one to check
thanks Larry. I will have to look into Fans, fan replacement and such.

What should I look for other than the obvious? Jonritz showed me the old fan that he replaced, and it looked fine around the hub, but I guess the plastic was separating or lost its mechanical bond to the metal hub?

·
Super Moderator
2,851 Posts
Just reach in there and see if you can wiggle the fan. If it's loose then it's time to change it quickly. Honda still has them for about $30.

If you take the bolts out of the radiator mount you can pull it forward far enough to reach in and get hold of the fan to see if it's ok or not. In fact, I change fans without even draining the coolant that way.

·
Registered
595 Posts
The description reminds me of my ticking, that lead into a big exhaust gasket fiasco. I'm gonna cry if the ticking stops when I put in my electric fan, because it'll mean I spent all of that time on the exhaust gaskets for nothing

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just reach in there and see if you can wiggle the fan. If it's loose then it's time to change it quickly. Honda still has them for about $30.

If you take the bolts out of the radiator mount you can pull it forward far enough to reach in and get hold of the fan to see if it's ok or not. In fact, I change fans without even draining the coolant that way.

So to clarrify,...its not a matter of the fan bushing being loose on the spindle, but a matter of the plastic injection molded bits being loose on the bushing right?

Are the new fans 'new' or are they 32 years old and NOS?

·
Super Moderator
2,851 Posts
So to clarrify,...its not a matter of the fan bushing being loose on the spindle, but a matter of the plastic injection molded bits being loose on the bushing right?

Are the new fans 'new' or are they 32 years old and NOS?

Yes, it's the plastic getting loose on the center hub. I don't know if they are old stock or not, but I've bought at least 8 of them in the past years with no issues from any of them yet.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do plan at some point in the future to upgrade to the electric fan...I ordered a fan from the Honda Dealer yesterday, should be here Monday. I didnt even check the fan, but thought 'what is the cost of a roached radiator due to a fan coming apart?'

I think its 39 bucks well spent.

Thanks for the info Larry and everyone else! I will check the original fan though and post an update.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts