Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
Power probably isn't going to increase no matter what muffler you put on. But loudness and sound can be achieved in different ways. I have a mac 2 into 1 exhaust on my bike and it's louder than stock but not as loud as a harley. Others have used harley mufflers or straight pipes. If you have nice mufflers on your bike don't screw with them. Just get new/different ones. Harley dyna or sportster mufflers should be had for about $30 a pair on ebay. Don't pay high prices.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Power probably isn't going to increase no matter what muffler you put on. But loudness and sound can be achieved in different ways. I have a mac 2 into 1 exhaust on my bike and it's louder than stock but not as loud as a harley. Others have used harley mufflers or straight pipes. If you have nice mufflers on your bike don't screw with them. Just get new/different ones. Harley dyna or sportster mufflers should be had for about $30 a pair on ebay. Don't pay high prices.

thanks for the response

i didnt realize they were that inexpensive,, but im kinda stuck on keeping it looking as honda made it,

ill check out what the Harley dyna or sportster mufflers look like, but they might be a lot louder than i want..

im trying to get away from the Jetsons space mobile sound that my stock muffles have and go just a little louder

with out pissing off my quite neighborhood,

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
Our bikes cant give the loud screaming of a harley. In some cases and some different variants of harley mufflers some have said that they are quieter than stock.

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Some of the Harley mufflers are indeed the same if not quieter, somer a bit louder and may require a tad up on the jets.

You'd think pods as air cleaners and virtually stright pipes would, with proper jetting, give you more due to the increased amount of A/F mixture passing through but for some reason it doesn't seem to work that way. My guess is you've have to up the carb sizes and tweak both the cam and electrical timing to do so.

Bite the bullet, send your carbs to Larry &/or buy his book. Keep a clean system everywhere including a clean (not K&N) paper air filter with the intake part on the top of the housing box pointed towards the rear of the bike. Half decent tires properly inflated, add a small Street Shields windshield as an air deflector.

Poorly maintained you may only be getting in the 40 - 45 HP range, a lot of difference between the easy 50 they were designed to put out. Even with the average weight rider thay aren't going to eat one of those Suziki "hayburners" or half the other expensive stuff out there but they excell for a 500cc machine due to their broad torque band and high rpm capability.

·
Registered
43 Posts
first off, Keep the crossover box (H-box) That thing does most of the necessary work keeping the vacuum correct. Second off, keep the stock airbox.

the keihan cv carbs our bikes use are very very picky about air in and air out, pretty much anything you do will decrease HP, and moving up in jets doesn't help. (same carbs on my cb, PITA) It seems honda really tweaked these bikes to output maximum power with these carbs in stock formation, unlike most other bike/carb setups.

as to mufflers? do what you want, I'm running sapporo cans with three unabit holes drilled out of the ends along with the original drinking hole. My bike sounds deep, throaty, and loud, and I didn't lose any hp. there is still enough backpressure. I had harley take-offs originally, they were dead quiet, all you heard were the sewing machine sounds of the tappets. I ran with only the h-box, but the bike was stupid loud, backfired a lot and lost power. then I ran sapporo cans with only the original hole, and a bout a quarter packed with steel wool, the bike sound was deep and throaty, a little louder then stock, and ran great.

last week I drilled out the backs with a unabit to 3/8 adding three holes one on top,(no pics, maybe after the sun comes up) one on each side. It's louder and still doesn't pop or backfire, and there is no power loss up top, just a bit slower off the line with the throttle.

a buddy rides to work the same route as me with another cx, running open carbs, straight pipes, no h box. his bike is really loud, but has zero power, can't get it over 70. I talked him into finding on egay a H box and the bike has much more power now.

·
Registered
170 Posts
To get a little deeper sound, I drilled out the rivets from the end plates of stock Honda silencer and removed the perforated steel part of the baffle, then just refitted them. Looks stock, sounds better

1 - 10 of 10 Posts