Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got all the bolts removed from the tail pipes, H-box and Header bolts to the engine. Looks like it should be removable as a single unit (headers, H-box and pipes as one). Can this be done?

I've been able to shift the entire unit but can't seem to get it off. Must I separate the headers from the H-box?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great....yes, I got it off! The side-stand was interferring somewhat, but with the right jiggle movement, it came out.

I'm going to drain the fuel, oil and coolent next, then remove the tank, disconnect the carbs, throttle cable and gosh...? ...who knows what I'm about to discover. Any assistance or recommendations is welcomed.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ramprat06:

My Stator gave up the ghost last week, so, like it or not, what was going to be this coming winter's maintenance project has become my summer project!

I'll also look at the waterpump, do a starter overhaul, cam chain inspection - probably will replace the chain as after 63,000 Km it might as well be done, and I know my clutch is on it's way, so I'll do that too.

My carbs will get a cleaning as will the entire bike. Also cosidering adding the grease nipple to the pro-link and replacing the 30 amp fuse with the jumper re-wire recommendation and replace the stator connection in the electrics, as it's corroded . And who knows what else?

I'll be taking it all one step at a time.

I have a relatively quiet motor, in fact I'll say it very quiet, so I'm not thinking about "going in", but I will check/set the valves/tappets on completion. I'd be surprised if it needs anything. Also, I'll try and polish as much aluminum as possible and try to mirror (no pun intended) Rickbert's shine.

If you have any experience or tips, please...I'm all ears! This won't be a 15 second pit stop. I'll be happy if I can start riding again by mid July...or sooner!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts