Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 82 gl500 and am currently wanting a deeper more throaty sound.
Not necessarily needing it much louder but a little louder is fine. Live in a neighborhood with a lot of bikers.
Nobody gives shit to the harley up the block with straight pipes so I think I'm good as far as noise "pollution" is concerned.

Anyway, I'm looking to modify my stock mufflers. I don't want to reposition them take out the baffles or use completely different mufflers.
I was thinking I would go with the "honest Abe" method
Seen here ... " http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs-36yCV8pE&desktop_uri=/watch?v=Qs-36yCV8pE "
This involves drilling 4 x 1/2" holes in the baffle plates that hold them on the end of the pipes. Which I was gonna do anyway... But it also puts to use a method I've never heard of before. Putting a metal stake 13" up the pipes and straightening out the muffler pipes.
Seems like this gives a closer sound to straight pipes.

My question and concern is with the second bit... I don't want to have to rejet my carbs or anything, so drilling re end caps I'm going to do. But has anybody had any experience with this mod? Anybody done it?
I want to know if I clear the airway with the metal stake will it cause me to need rejetting?
Or will the H-box (which I will leave intact) and the remaining amount of baffle and plate blocks give me enough back pressure to do this without rejetting being necessary?
I know my friend with a cx500 runs his with no baffles whatsoever and he didn't need to rejet.

Basically if anybody has experience with this please let me know.

The other option I can think of is removing the baffles drilling a few extra holes in them then replacing them with the 4 new holes drilled in the end piece.

I'd like some thoughts here.
Keep in mind I don't have a bunch of tools and I don't want to spend much money on this mod. Just an hour or so in the garage and ride off with a bike that sounds a little more throaty and a lower pitch.

How have you guys modified these exhaust systems and what were your results?
Again. I like the sound of the dyna and sportster exhausts but I don't wanna rejet, fabricate a bracket or tune the bike in any way to accommodate the modification.

Thanks in advance gentlemen.

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
Frankly, if it were me.....I wouldn't muck about with it.

Since you insist, then I would suggest to begin by drilling your baffles. Start with small holes. They are easy to enlarge if you don't get the sound you want. A bit tough to make smaller.

Remember, if you go too far......the OEM muffs can be difficult to find and expensive when found.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually in my area that's the one part that's affordable and easy to find.
*puts on ghostbusters uniform* I guess ive been sitting in a hotspot for telekinetic gl/cx500 exhaust energy all along!
It's around $50 for both pipes in good condition.
That's partly why I'm even considering messing with the ones on the bike.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I drilled out the baffles on my bike first and it made it a little throatier but not so much as louder. A couple a months ago I decided that I wanted more so I found the spot weld for the last set of baffles and cut the whole end off. As long as you don't alter the air box or h- box on the exhaust you don't have to rejet. Here is how I drilled the baffles. I'll try and get up a vid of what my pipes look like now.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I drilled out the baffles on my bike first and it made it a little throatier but not so much as louder. A couple a months ago I decided that I wanted more so I found the spot weld for the last set of baffles and cut the whole end off. As long as you don't alter the air box or h- box on the exhaust you don't have to rejet. Here is how I drilled the baffles. I'll try and get up a vid of what my pipes look like now.

Cool, so I don't know that I have the tools to cut my pipes certainly not the tools to cut and finish the pipes to make them look good...
But from what you're saying if I do the mod in the video I shouldn't have to rejet?
Since I'm leaving the h-box and air filter alone? Or is there some air-box I don't know about inside the exhaust pipe?
Hopefully that's not what the metal spike in the videos is destroying.
I gather from the video and your reply that I should deffinately drill first and see if i can work with the new sound before taking the next step.
Ideally I would drill the holes at the end of the pipes and then take the baffels out and drill some extra hole In them and then replace them into the pipes. But as I don't have a rivet tool putting the baffles back in seems the hardest part of that job. Even with the rivet gun.
So it looks like drill and then maybe spike later. If I don't like that I can get a good used set of mufflers from a buddy that lives 2 hours away for around $50.
Thanks for the info. If anybody else wants to chime in feel free. Specially if you've spiked your muffler like in the video.

·
Registered
604 Posts
How about putting on a set of HD mufflers and selling yours? You'll surely come out ahead and the HD mufflers sound a lot better than drilled out stock ones.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Cool, so I don't know that I have the tools to cut my pipes certainly not the tools to cut and finish the pipes to make them look good...
But from what you're saying if I do the mod in the video I shouldn't have to rejet?
Since I'm leaving the h-box and air filter alone? Or is there some air-box I don't know about inside the exhaust pipe?
Hopefully that's not what the metal spike in the videos is destroying.
I gather from the video and your reply that I should deffinately drill first and see if i can work with the new sound before taking the next step.
Ideally I would drill the holes at the end of the pipes and then take the baffels out and drill some extra hole In them and then replace them into the pipes. But as I don't have a rivet tool putting the baffles back in seems the hardest part of that job. Even with the rivet gun.
So it looks like drill and then maybe spike later. If I don't like that I can get a good used set of mufflers from a buddy that lives 2 hours away for around $50.
Thanks for the info. If anybody else wants to chime in feel free. Specially if you've spiked your muffler like in the video.
Yes I was referring to the air filter box I'd say you will be happy with the holes drilled but I really like the sound of mine like it is now, but to each there own.. I just used a 4" cutoff wheel and a round file to clean it up. I cut probably 10" off the original muffs. Please excuse the dirt lol she is my daily and I live on gravel. If you click the pic it will take you to the vid.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I like the sound of the dyna and sportster exhausts but I don't wanna rejet, fabricate a bracket or tune the bike in any way to accommodate the modification.
When I put my sportster muff's on, no rejetting was necessary and the only bracket I had to make was a 1 1/2" long one with two 3/8" holes in it for each side. And they sound
awesome in my opinion.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How about putting on a set of HD mufflers and selling yours? You'll surely come out ahead and the HD mufflers sound a lot better than drilled out stock ones.
Sounds like its worth researching. Where can I find a set of HD mufflers? And wouldn't a new set of mufflers make me have to re-jet?
And I'd have to see what I can get for mine. Mine are decently beat up as this was 3 people's "starter bike" before I got it and it's been laid down on both sides.

That's more or less the reason I wanna play with these mufflers as I don't see them selling for much of anything and I can get the stock replacements for around $50-$60 plus shipping. If I destroy them accidentally they're easily replaced. And getting a used set of stock mufflers even with a few scrapes/dents are an upgrade from what I've got.

This bike is a rescue.
I'm gonna try to shine and buff the hell out of these pipes but they're still likely gonna be kinda low-end.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes I was referring to the air filter box I'd say you will be happy with the holes drilled but I really like the sound of mine like it is now, but to each there own.. I just used a 4" cutoff wheel and a round file to clean it up. I cut probably 10" off the original muffs. Please excuse the dirt lol she is my daily and I live on gravel. If you click the pic it will take you to the vid.
And you didn't have to rejet after chopping them down like that? If that's the case then I believe I am safe with not having to rejet with the mod in my video at the top.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When I put my sportster muff's on, no rejetting was necessary and the only bracket I had to make was a 1 1/2" long one with two 3/8" holes in it for each side. And they sound
awesome in my opinion.
I"ll definaty look into that. But the sportster exhaust isn't cheap and this mod is about $10 and 30 minutes of time.

·
Registered
401 Posts
No rejetting needed. I read somewhere that Murray had posted said that as long as you leave the stock air filter box and the H- box you can run open pipes from the H-box back. which is basically what I am doing except the one little baffle that probably does nothing,lol. Plus I'm a sucker for the angle cut megaphone style.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No rejetting needed. I read somewhere that Murray had posted said that as long as you leave the stock air filter box and the H- box you can run open pipes from the H-box back. which is basically what I am doing except the one little baffle that probably does nothing,lol. Plus I'm a sucker for the angle cut megaphone style.
Yeah the angle cut is nice. But I don't want my bike waking up the neighborhood when I'm coming and going late at night. Which I do a lot. Lol.

My girlfriends apartments already hate my el camino.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, as long as I stay under "el camino SS with straight pipes" sound level I should be okay. But I don't want the Toyota tercels classic "vagina whisper" either.
Just gotta find a nice throaty low rumble. A solid "middle ground" as it were. Where you can hear me coming if you're awake but you can sleep through me riding home if you're not awake.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts