Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1982 GL500 Interstate. I have taken my exhaust system apart to perform maintenance on the bike. I have removed the old gaskets and cleaned the mating surfaces on the cylinder heads and pipes. I am ready to torque down the nuts that hold the headers to the cylinder heads. How tight should these bolts be tightened? Is there a specific torque value? I have checked a few manuals and have seen nothing about disassembling or reassembling the exhaust system. Thanks for any advice.

·
Super Moderator
15,409 Posts
It's probably 6-8 pounds. Don't go nuts. Tighten both nuts at the same rate and you're good. With an exhaust crush ring in there it's not really about tight. It's about holding pressure on it. Then a few days later re-tighten them as they may have came loose due to heat.

·
Registered
285 Posts
After installation, will there be much of a gap between cylinder head and "exhaust cover" which gets bolted to it? I was seeing a gap of about 3/16 inch.

do you mean the flanged ring with fins which slides on the the bolts just before the nuts? I believe this depends on your bike. Mine has maybe little more than 1/4 inch gap on the right side. As long as the bolts are tight(blind stitch explained), there is a good seal and nothing is loosening up over time you are good.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
do you mean the flanged ring with fins which slides on the the bolts just before the nuts? I believe this depends on your bike. Mine has maybe little more than 1/4 inch gap on the right side. As long as the bolts are tight(blind stitch explained), there is a good seal and nothing is loosening up over time you are good.

I had a gap like that on mine, also....I tried reseating them a couple of times before figuring out it was just how it is...try to get the gap even - if it isn't, one side is tighter than the other...

One thing I learned when putting a reconditioned h-box and new mufflers on my '78 CX was to leave the h-box bolts to the engine loose while fitting the headers...get the headers on and tightened first. Then I installed and tightened the new mufflers, did the h-box last. Well...the second time anyway....
found out by error that the h-box wants to stay loose until everything else is lined up and tied down.

VC3

·
Registered
22 Posts
Alright. I'm posting here first of all so I can find this thread again easily. Second of all so maybe some one will learn from my mistakes. I misunderstood the service manual while re-attaching mine and snapped the bolt again. I believe the upper limits I've seen listed in the manual for bolts this size is 9Lbs. I was headed to much higher than that when mine snapped. For what its worth hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts