Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of gasket/rings coming in the mail (for up near valves)

but, do I need to insulate or add gaskets near the h-box? I've heard I could just use foil tape, cover the head and tail pipe, then slide into h-box. Are there gaskets needed in there too?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
There are gaskets there and I would have some if they were not so darn expensive!!! But I may just break down and buy them because it is not so easy to seal that joint (header to H-box) without the right gasket. Some people have said they have made gaskets for that area out of pop cans. I tried it, and I don't really believe they got it to work well. I'd like to know how people seal that area with exhaust wrap. When you push the pipe into the pipe it wants to unravel, and if you put to little of whatever in there, you still have a leak once clamped down.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I tried some exhaust tape and I... was not able to make it work. It comes unravelled when putting the pipe in the pipe. There is some goopy stuff made to seal exhaust joints, but I don't recommend that either. The gap is rather large, because there is supposed to be a gasket there. I have quite the leak on mine at the moment. One of those loose ends. After trying a few things and not having very good luck, I went on to other projects on the bike. I'm watching this as I have the same problem, and would like to have it sorted. And would rather not spend $20 + on gaskets. Although I have a feeling that is exactly what I will end up doing.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
I will soon be swaping my pipes and since I dont have gaskets I figured I would just make them. Wont be OEM, but from what O see they are only a ring of copper/brass or some such soft material. I'm going to try using a length of copper wire (thisk solid stuff) formed in a ring. Im sure this would work in sealing the gap and making it leak free (if the end gap looks like it will be an issue, I will just solder them together).

Will post my results if I ever get the mufflers (looks like Canada Post is/going on strike, and my parts are .... aGGGGG!! in the mail :-(

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I will soon be swaping my pipes and since I dont have gaskets I figured I would just make them. Wont be OEM, but from what O see they are only a ring of copper/brass or some such soft material. I'm going to try using a length of copper wire (thisk solid stuff) formed in a ring. Im sure this would work in sealing the gap and making it leak free (if the end gap looks like it will be an issue, I will just solder them together).

Will post my results if I ever get the mufflers (looks like Canada Post is/going on strike, and my parts are .... aGGGGG!! in the mail :-(

That may work from header pipe to head, but not for head pipe to H-box.

This is what we are talking about. Click here please.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Ahhhhhh Well just goes to show I should have checked the manual lol. I have never been able to see whats there as I had to remove my exhaust in one peice when I first got the bike and restored it. No matter WHAT i did I simply could not get the exhaust system apart, and after reaching that point where you know the next try will bust it, I stopped trying. With the new mufflers I can cut them off the H-Box if I have to.

So, forget the ring of copper, will make a band of soft steel (in the old day you could have used lead foil, but its almost impossible to find now). In any event, since I dont have any gaskets (glad I didnt order the rings lol) I will give the steel a shot. (either a section of black pipe the right diameter, or one just oversize with a strip cut out the side).

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
I used Tiger Paw brand muffler tape (or bandage as it's sometimes called) and it works great in place of the obscenely priced OEM H box donuts. I found that the stuff does dry out if it's been on the shelf too long, so buy it from a parts source that has a decent stock turnover, any brand should work fine.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Good idea :) We also have stuff like that at Crappy Tire here, its called muffler tape and is basically aluminum fiol with a sticky backing (have also used aluminum duct taping you can get from Home Depot, which works as well for applications where its compressed like this in a gap). Think I will try that first as its a lot less work than messing with pipe :) Thanks for the idea :)

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
LOL yea, official name is Canadian Tire, but they have such impressive stuff lol (kind of like Wallmart, which we call either Wallyworld, or in the scarborough area Well(fare)mart).

·
Super Moderator
11,471 Posts
Yeah, I hear it is Canada.....

*edit, apparently some in Toronto can type/think faster than I do.*

·
Registered
835 Posts
There is a company called crappy tire?

Funny story there, don't know if it's urban legend or not, but some guy was pissed at Canadian Tire, and started the website http://crappy-tire.ca/

to vent his concerns. Canadian tire first tried to suit him - based on copyright infringement - and couldn't, so they then made him a financial offer - which he accepted.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Funny story there, don't know if it's urban legend or not, but some guy was pissed at Canadian Tire, and started the website http://crappy-tire.ca/

to vent his concerns. Canadian tire first tried to suit him - based on copyright infringement - and couldn't, so they then made him a financial offer - which he accepted.

All I can say is wow.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Another possible replacement is wood stove gasket material.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Frenzy: From what I understand you need that seal to cause the necessary backpressure, but you could still ride without it tight. I knew an ass about ten years back that just cut the muffler off his truck and routed to the pipe to the other side to make it louder.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.