Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have searched everywhere but cannot find an answer.
I have a GL650i with full fairing. The exhaust is running clear but if you blast the throttle to 6/7k it will emit a cloud of black soot. The bike has done 32000km,(about 20000 miles) and has been stood for a long time so I suspect that this is just crud in the exhaust system. The valve seals are most likely hard but I have some additive in the system which may cure this. If not they will be replaced.
My question is though, whilst riding at decent road speeds, I am breathing exhaust fumes. and they seem stronger at higher speeds.
Is this normal of the bike?
There are no leaks in the system and the oil breather is clean.
There is an aftermarket curved screen fitted. Could this cause the problem.

Any thoughts welcomed.

Max:confused:

·
Registered
2,160 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Hi all,
I have searched everywhere but cannot find an answer.
I have a GL650i with full fairing. The exhaust is running clear but if you blast the throttle to 6/7k it will emit a cloud of black soot. The bike has done 32000km,(about 20000 miles) and has been stood for a long time so I suspect that this is just crud in the exhaust system. The valve seals are most likely hard but I have some additive in the system which may cure this. If not they will be replaced.
My question is though, whilst riding at decent road speeds, I am breathing exhaust fumes. and they seem stronger at higher speeds.
Is this normal of the bike?
There are no leaks in the system and the oil breather is clean.
There is an aftermarket curved screen fitted. Could this cause the problem.

Any thoughts welcomed.

Max:confused:
Compression Test will help see that the valves are seated well. The black smoke is unburned gas, Improperly burned. My be back pressure from the exhaust at hire speeds.
Carbs could still be a fault allowing to much fuel.
Spark plugs caps, gap, heat range of plugs. Air filter ?
I run hotter spark plugs then original.
After market screen? Where?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hi all and thanks for your views. The smell/smoke is burning oil. I think that as the bike has been stood for years the seals have hardened. I am trying an oil additive first and it seems to have improved matters considerably. If not I will change the valve seals.
The thing that I find strange is that all the time I am riding. I can feel a draught on the back of my neck, the same as you would get in a sports car. This is dragging any fumes/smell back to me as against choking the guy behind.
I will update as things change. Again thanks for the feedback.

Max

Things are improving. The additive seems to be working and is no longer smelling of burnt oil and I have given it some hard runs which seems to have cleared the soot out of the exhausts. At last I can ride it without smelling the exhaust :D
It seems that sitting around for ages and that has done it no favours.
Thanks fort all your help and suggestions.

Max

1 - 6 of 6 Posts