Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a list of under thought ramblings that I know you all have heard before so post the excuses you have heard why not to wear a helmet.

One I got from a fellow member...

How is anyone suppose to know who I am when I'm riding?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
This topic brought to you by the school for neurosurgeons.

Having "used" many helmets over the years, and when i say used I mean put to the task,

I would never go without, if you don't protect the most valuable part of the body, why

wear gloves, boots, glasses or even pants for that matter.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm not picky on gear. CT is a right to ride state, if you want to smatter your brains on the guardrail, so be it. My only excuse is sometimes i like to wear my headphones. Otherwise i tend to always wear the brainbucket, if nothing else. I've even gone and installed a decent set of headphones in there that bluetooth to my phone if i need it(and in the future, a GPS), so i guess i don't have any excuse anymore.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
"I don't have anything in my head worth protecting." (I'm not kidding, that's what he said)

Then more seriously, he said; "I can see better and be more aware without a helmet".

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had a site bookmarked that showed all the states, if they had a helmet law or not and percentages of of motorcycle accidents with and without a helmet. In most maybe all the states, the % was lower for those without a helmet. I lost my hard drive a couple weeks ago needless to say all my bookmarks too. I used to be an advocate of wearing a helmet until I moved here and one day I was at a freinds shop and he told me to take his bike for a ride to check it out. I complained I didn't have a helmet and got scoffed at so, I took it for a cruise and kind of liked it. I would still wear a helmet but, began taking short hops to the store and such without it. Then it was sometimes on sometimes off until it wore out and I didn't buy another one. That was about five years ago. I'll dig around a little and look for the site but, most of what I find is usually stumbled upon looking for something else and not knowing how I got there.

Aloha

·
Registered
49 Posts
thats interesting bg2, so there was a lower percentage of accidents in states without helmet laws. i wonder if there is also a lower percentage fatal accidents in those states.

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm not picky on gear. CT is a right to ride state, if you want to smatter your brains on the guardrail, so be it. My only excuse is sometimes i like to wear my headphones. Otherwise i tend to always wear the brainbucket, if nothing else. I've even gone and installed a decent set of headphones in there that bluetooth to my phone if i need it(and in the future, a GPS), so i guess i don't have any excuse anymore.
Where I live it's compulsory. If I'm riding in the city I don't want any distractions, but for country riding I use those little ear buds that fit into your ears under the helmet.

Even if your ipod isn't turned on it helps to reduce wind noise, but I reckon there's nothing better than cruising a country road listening to your favourite music.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My Brother-in-law says they don't make one to fit his head. not really the size but the shape.... Really

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Well if we were to go back in time a few months to the big ass argument thread we had where I was going around and around with the dude from St Joe, Missouri about him taking his kids and now his grandkids on his bike and doing wheelies with them on his tank or behind him in and out of heavy traffic WITHOUT helmets on him or EVEN WORSE THE KIDS his reckoning was something like:

"If you're not confident enough in your abilities to handle the bike without crashing then you shouldn't be riding". (something like that)

This is the guy that kept referring to me as "prickbert" because I was all over him for risking his kids lives like that.

So in essence I guess the attitude of: "I'm too good to ever wreck and I'd even BET MY KIDS LIVES ON IT" is the most lame CRAP I've heard.

·
Registered
372 Posts
When my son is in school I have noticed that I am the ONLY parent to pick his kid up on a bike. He wears his helmet with eye protection per our state law of course.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Well if we were to go back in time a few months to the big ass argument thread we had where I was going around and around with the dude from St Joe, Missouri about him taking his kids and now his grandkids on his bike and doing wheelies with them on his tank or behind him in and out of heavy traffic WITHOUT helmets on him or EVEN WORSE THE KIDS his reckoning was something like:

"If you're not confident enough in your abilities to handle the bike without crashing then you shouldn't be riding". (something like that)

This is the guy that kept referring to me as "prickbert" because I was all over him for risking his kids lives like that.

So in essence I guess the attitude of: "I'm too good to ever wreck and I'd even BET MY KIDS LIVES ON IT" is the most lame CRAP I've heard.

wow. Can't believe someone would actually say/ do that. Risking your own life is stupid, but your choice..... risking the life of someone else.... wow. I completely agree with you, Rickbert.... lame.

As for me, I don't have a good reason. Sometimes I don't think about it since I'm going on a short trip, I don't care for the stuffy feeling when the shield is down (I like the full face, but I also like some fresh air... thinking of just wearing glasses and keeping shield off) and right now it's being painted....

·
Registered
533 Posts
I have to admit that I don't always wear mine... but I do wear one for easily 95% of the miles I ride. I just find it more enjoyable without it, which probably comes from growing up around ATVs.

Recently though, I found that these Half-Helmets are a nice compromise for that 5%... so there is probably no excuse for it.

Just hard to break the desire for the occasional helmitless ride.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I'll admit there have been times I've forgotten to take mine with me to my bike for a short trip but, just as without the seat belt in my car, I feel naked without it. I don't think they've ever been mandatory here but growing up on dirt bikes I've always worn one and more than once they've saved my life.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I needed to go to the hardware store the other day, and since it was 97F and 90%RH I went without the helmet. I felt naked without the helmet and will not be doing that again.

With this heat though I see a lot of people on Harleys or GoldWings riding with no helmet, and with shorts, t-shirt, and flip-flops.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
My spouse was hit by a car at a crosswalk, and spent 3 months in the hospital. The first 2 weeks were touch and go as far as her survival. She sustained massive head trauma along with numerous broken bones. It opened my eyes WIDE as to how valuable it is and how painless it is to wear a helmet.

BTW in Canada 25 children die each year from head injuries in accidents while riding bicycles without their helmets on.

Those statistics do not lie.

All I have to do is look at my mountain bike helmet and see the dents and holes in it to know how it works for me, when hardcore trail riding.

And as far as the guy taking himself and kids for rides without helmets, that just plain negligence, not confidence in his riding abilities, cause one day it will catch up to him when someone ELSE without great abilities hits him.

nuff ranting

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
The question is flawed. I don't need to make an excuse for a personal choice. It cannot be disputed that a full helmet obscures both vision and hearing, not good things. Add 100+ temps, traffic and the 200+ degree heat coming off the engine and asphalt, a fedora would seem a more prudent choice. You can go back and forth forever, bottom line, if all states had helmet laws, and it was etched in stone...they'd want more, mandate gloves first, then jackets, then jeans, then leathers, then armor...damn, how could you be against mandated armor, Joe Smith was saved when that errant javelin hit him in the back. How much time do you spend riding vs falling off? Maybe all those guys in full ATGATT that don't die in accidents, may not have had those accidents if they didn't have the impared vision, hearing and mobility of all that ATGATT. Maybe not.

I don't like nanny states, if you want to wear your Transformers gear to ride, go for it, if you want to break 150MPH speed records on the salt flats semi naked, go for it.

Back in the Carter Administration, I suspect shortly after and before many of you reading this were a glimmer in the your old man's eye, there was one Joan Claybrook appointed by a President that until recently was the worse ever, in all matters including staff appointments. If you don't believe in the "camels nose under the tent" starts with abdicating personal responsibilty for government mandate as it pertains to motorcycles (and just about everything else), you're deluding yourself.

Pig Bike

American Motorcyclist

Claybrook Bike

For the record, I wear a helmet 100% of the time, even in New Hampshire. If you want to ride with nothing but a doo-rag, go for, just give me some warning to look away before you unstick your naked ass off the seat.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
If you want to ride with nothing but a doo-rag, go for, just give me some warning to look away before you unstick your naked ass off the seat.

Thanks for that..... you gave me the first laugh of the day!

·
Registered
22 Posts
thats interesting bg2, so there was a lower percentage of accidents in states without helmet laws. i wonder if there is also a lower percentage fatal accidents in those states.

No, definitely not. States which enact helmet laws are met with lower fatality rates; states which repeal them are met with higher fatality rates.

Comparing state vs. state is apples and oranges, but when numbers change within a particular state, you can have some confidence in that.

Some figures from http://www.saferoads.../fs-helmets.htm:

In 1997, Arkansas and Texas repealed all-rider helmet laws. As of May 1998, helmet use fell from 97% in both states to 52% in Arkansas and 66% in Texas. Motorcycle operator fatalities increased by 21% in Arkansas and 31% in Texas. (NHTSA, 2000)

In 1992, the first year of California's all-rider motorcycle helmet law, 327 motorcyclists died in traffic crashes, compared to 512 in 1991 - a 36% reduction in fatalities in one year. Additionally, the number of hospitalized brain-injured motorcyclists fell by over 50%, from 1,258 in 1991 to 588 in 1992. (California Highway Patrol, 1999, Trauma Foundation, 2002)​

After passage of Maryland's all-rider motorcycle helmet law in 1992, motorcyclist deaths dropped dramatically - 20% in 1993 and 30% from 1993-1994. (Maryland Department of Transportation)

In Oregon, there was a 33% reduction in motorcycle fatalities the year after the helmet law was re-enacted. Nebraska experienced a 32% reduction in fatalities the first year of its law. Texas experienced a 23% reduction in fatalities; Washington, a 15% reduction; California, a 37% reduction; and, Maryland, a 20% reduction. (NHTSA, 2001)

I wear a helmet 100% of the time on a motorcycle, even though in my one crash it's been to my detriment (25mph, my head didn't hit anything but my helmet did screw up my shoulder on landing). But I ride a bicycle in Boston traffic every day and have for about 13 years, and I never wear a helmet in the city.

My excuse, other than not wanting to: helmets make it more difficult to crash gracefully -- you can't tuck-and-roll as effectively, which is has been an actual concern for me. Bicycle crashes unfold (reasonably) slowly. As speed increases, the rules of crashing change and I don't want to have to worry about protecting my head and face, which keeps me in a full-face on the motorbike.​

I am against helmet laws (and most nanny-state intrusions). If you're popping wheelies with your kid on the back and you're both hair-to-the-wind, I might not agree with it but I won't say you don't have the right to do it.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts