Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to allo i hope everyone is well
My gl500 is loosing excessive oil out of the engine breather… cylinder breathers are blocked and running the bottle to the side ( inspection cap of the engine)

i have done a compression test to the engine in order to identify if the piston rings are worn but on both cylinders the compression is 130psi

Any help on how to solve this issue?
Thank you in advance

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Not a solution ...but how do you check your oil level?
Could this be too high?

Also what oil weight are you using..and is it Mineral or synth.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
If the dipstick cap sits on the thread (not screwed in)...I tend to keep it at mid-point or lower.

CXPheak beat me to it...

·
Super Moderator
22,553 Posts
The compression may yet improve in use. My first 500C had compression much like yours. Several years of front line use later it was 170/170 when checked while troubleshooting another matter.

130 is low but acceptable. The FSM will say no but in practice yes.

IMHO opinion you are running the right oil for your circumstance as long as your temps aren't freezing.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
The heavier oil (c/w 10w40) might be less likely to cause "blow-by" as well.
20w50 as per CXPheaks thumbs up, is as per owners manual from memory for that temp range.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
What does "cylinder breathers are blocked " mean?

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
Hello to allo i hope everyone is well
My gl500 is loosing excessive oil out of the engine breather… cylinder breathers are blocked and running the bottle to the side ( inspection cap of the engine)
What do you have attached to the inspection cap breather to deal with blow-by? Are there provisions to allow oil from the breather to return to the crankcase?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts