Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found a few threads alluding to harley stock pipes from a dyna or sportster bolting up with no modification necessary but no one has ever listed any specific part number that works. anyone have the definitive answer on this?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so you are sure they will fit hbox and bolt up to stock mounting spots? I would hate to but them and then find I have to do fabricating because I don't have any equipment for that

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Im not sure if you will one that is a direct bolt up for the OEM honda ones. I used a set of Dyna's off a softail (thats at least what is printed on the mufflers) which fir the H-Box fine, but required a custom made bracket.

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff467/stern-69/DSCF5588.jpg

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff467/stern-69/DSCF5589.jpg

The bracket is the old bracket cut in half (used the section that bolts to the foot peg spot and discarded the 1/2 that was attached to the mufflers) and welded to a strip that spans the new muffler mounting nuts (welded on the side of the muffler).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah i guess i will have to do replicas...
I was hoping to change the look up a bit but I couldn't fabricate a bracket.

thanks for the pics

·
Registered
51 Posts
I used Harley Part # 65747-94 mufflers. The end that goes into the H-Box is a little bigger than the stock mufflers but will work fine. You can fasten to the muffler bracket using one bolt or making a bracket out of straight stock. I used the one bolt method and it's been working fine for 500 miles. I check it almost every time I ride though. I'll be making a bracket as a winter project.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used Harley Part # 65747-94 mufflers. The end that goes into the H-Box is a little bigger than the stock mufflers but will work fine. You can fasten to the muffler bracket using one bolt or making a bracket out of straight stock. I used the one bolt method and it's been working fine for 500 miles. I check it almost every time I ride though. I'll be making a bracket as a winter project.

that sounds pretty good. do you have any pics you could show of the mounts?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Fabricating brackets shouldn't require special tools--I started with scrap steel lying around the garage, just drilling holes as necessary and bolting together. The first version of the left side bracket worked OK, but made it hard to reach the side stand, so I bought some 1/8x2 inch aluminum from Home Depot. Shouldn't require more than a hacksaw, a drill and a file--there are a number of holes available for mounting.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fabricating brackets shouldn't require special tools--I started with scrap steel lying around the garage, just drilling holes as necessary and bolting together. The first version of the left side bracket worked OK, but made it hard to reach the side stand, so I bought some 1/8x2 inch aluminum from Home Depot. Shouldn't require more than a hacksaw, a drill and a file--there are a number of holes available for mounting.

ok thanks. all the pics I have seen of homemade brackets so far have been welded or bent using acetylene torch. once I have the mufflers I will just dry fit them and make a plan from there.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Here are pics of the right side muffler. It's not difficult, just get carriage bolts the correct size, lock washers, and nuts. I had to loosen the passenger pegs and rotate the bracket slightly to get everything to match up. I also cut the end of the bolts off at the nut to make a better fit. Definitely dry fit before tightening everything down. I also had to get longer bolts for the clamp used between the muffler and the H-box as the Harley muffler is bigger than stock. The jets have not been changed and performance or mileage has not been impacted.

Final setup..

Couple close ups..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts