Honda CX 500 Forum banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
I squirted this, cranked with plugs out into each cylinder and let set overnight before Littlewing's first start:

Marvel Mystery Oil

·
Super Moderator
14,044 Posts
So you are really going for expensive exhaust?

BTW: You've had Littlewing for 2 years. One would expect the "cobwebs" from sitting for 14 years to have been gone by the end of the first summer...
I have a feeling it seems smoother now because you are comparing it against the 650....

·
Registered
683 Posts
Have you ever rebuilt the carbs on the gl500 or at least cleaned them? If I remember right it needed it from day one. But if you’re getting by without doing the “normal” maintenance of your bike, more power to you.

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
So you are really going for expensive exhaust?

BTW: You've had Littlewing for 2 years. One would expect the "cobwebs" from sitting for 14 years to have been gone by the end of the first summer...
I have a feeling it seems smoother now because you are comparing it against the 650....
I only put about 100 miles on the first summer. Barely broke the new tires in. But this is the first time there is absolutely no hesitation and no popping when down shifting and idles well when cold. And the oil leak is slowing down.
I find the engine sounds are different. The 650 "chirps" at low speed acceleration. At first, when at a stop sign, and the electric fan kicks on, I would look around to try and see the truck that just pulled up. ;)

The city put tar and gravel on our alley today. They re-asphalted it in the spring. For some reason, they dumped a small hill of gravel right in front of the garage. It is slate covered crushed stone, the color of stone you see at lake superior. Hopefully, they'll clean it up. I should scoop some into buckets for traction grit for the car come winter.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I got around to checking my tire codes, (this thread is covering a lot of territory, eh?) and they are 2016 and 2017, so I'm still good "To infinity and beyond", or at least redline on ocassion. Now, I really should check the oil . . . maybe BEFORE the trip to PA. in August.

Reactions: Sidecar Bob

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Hopefully you checked tire pressure when you checked the dates, which brought up a question for me. How do you know if you have a accurate tire guage? None of mine ever read the same.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hopefully you checked tire pressure when you checked the dates, which brought up a question for me. How do you know if you have a accurate tire guage? None of mine ever read the same.
good point-a bit like a torque wrench only traceable to last calibration...
i use 2 gauges at each check if I want accuracy-one is an older pcl pencil type, the other a 'tip-top' dial gauge-no discrepancies beyond 1-2 psi but thats more likely the limitations of the gauge scale.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
As mentioned in an early post, I did check brake operation and tire pressure before riding the awakened bike. Both are conditions that are likely to be compromised during longer layovers (mine was more than two years). As for tire pressure gauges, I actually like to use the original GL supplied gauge, I find it to be consistent at least. Read it 5 times in a row and I get substantially the same reading. If its 2 lbs off (6% @ 33 lbs) I don't especially care, I'm not on a race track. I also don't heat up my tires before riding ;). I have an expensive inline tire gauge I use when adding air, but as I say, either one works for me. I find the "pen" style with the gauge stick coming out the top to be universally inconsistent, I've had several. Maybe I shouldn't pick up tire gauges at tag sales? :unsure: Been riding to work most days, 250 miles accumulated lately, on my second tank of gas, she and I are running very well! (y) Hoping to ride to PA Rally in August, 600 mile round trip. See a few old riding friends.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts