Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently in college and my new English assignment is to analyze a "discourse community." AKA a group of people with similar interests/goals.
I chose to do my essay on this forum because of all the various things on here that I can write about.

My main purpose will be to analyze the way the members of this forum communicate, including things like inside jokes, and phrases or terminology that outsiders would not be able to understand. I also plan to explain the ways the group advances its main goals by distributing parts and sharing information, ect...

Long story short, I will be reading a lot of posts, and probably put out a survey or two.
I would like to do a few interviews too (most likely through messaging).

I figured it might also be useful to talk to an admin about the kinds of things they see in the forum, typical forum conversations, what gets people banned, and other things like that.

This is all going to take place over the next month (Due December 5th) so I will post things here as I need information.

Thank You,
~Jacob

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
sounds cool , although I hope you might have privately enquired from the admins about this first , before announcing it here .

·
Registered
596 Posts
I've heard of science projects gone horribly wrong.... but an English project?
perhaps you could ask one of the numerous "security" agencies... I'm quite certain that "they" have assimilated all kinds of data on us (you didn't see that, TT)....
LOL...

Good Luck, I'm certain that you'd be hard pressed to find a more diverse "discourse" group .... and I'm certain that most here would be glad to assist!

Reactions: wfjacoby

·
Super Moderator
11,451 Posts
Jacob,
Some have already alluded to some of what I was thinking. I had concerns about the depth of research you seek. Regardless, as noted, with time, the majority of the group demography, and dynamic can already be found in the annals of this forum as it is, including the archives.

I'm not an Admin, but a Moderator. I can tell you right now what gets people banned. Simply read the Forum Rules. The individual dynamics behind other Moderator/Admin actions are not something that is openly discussed on the forum. And I, for one, would not give out any specifics about that to a private party whom had no business knowing it.

Since this is a world encompassing forum, with members from all corners, you'll find quite a variety of phrases, humor, and inside jokes that are very locality specific, and the language barriers often put that askew. Although, I do applaud those here who make such efforts to cross the barriers to help make them more understandable. As time goes on, one side of the pond starts to get a grasp of the other, so to speak.

As for the mechanics of how we share information/parts, that type of stuff......that is just as simple as a love for the ride. We care about our members, not just on this forum, but all other two wheel enthusiasts. If you asked any one of them for help, if they could, they would. It's as simple as that. It's called Karma...........BUT

It goes beyond that as well. There are a lot of great friendships built by this type of "discourse community"......with a very HEAVY emphasis on Community. And when a friend goes down, or runs into trouble with something, even if not related to the twisted twin, or any other machine, we step up as best we can. Because someday, we ourselves may need just that little bit of help.

This forum has a reputation of evolving into one of, if not THE premier Communities based on this platform (The CX/GL variants). It is because of the very nature of the classic definition of "Social Development on the Internet". Most of the time this refers to child based studies. But, extrapolated out, the same process takes place here. And as you do your reading, you will see just how many times the box gets expanded beyond the machine. The dynamics are very broad, and as varied as each individual within the group. We agree, we bicker, we weep, we laugh. It's a world on a box, away from the daily struggles, a way to relax, interact without reproach (most of the time), and yet still feel the same essence of contact as if we were in the same room. It's a remarkable tool for sanity in an insane world. And for those of us who have personally met, it's a way to feel closer, when we aren't, without the fashion statement of other social media like Faceplant and the like.

And reading you will have to do here to gather it in. Now, as to writing your thesis, or "assignment", I hope I've helped, if not done it for you. :) I ask you don't plagiarize. ( I can't really say that as this is on a open forum, and witness to all.) I'm sure you'll have to have more than one page in yours.

Good luck. :cool:

Joel in the Couve

·
Super Moderator
20,596 Posts
Condo, I'm sure you'll be duly noted in the study as a dissenter. ;)

This really must be unexplored territory and while I tend to agree with your comments I don't think there's any real breach of the rules or any harm intended.

I say let Jane Goodall do her study, but any thesis published on the internet would be shaky ground indeed and perhaps should be considered.

·
Super Moderator
11,451 Posts
Condo,
It may be true he doesn't "have" a bike, but he did utilize a CX engine in his go-kart build. And was selling some parts from the carcass of the donor bike. I'd say that warrants some consideration. Look at his previous posts.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
If it is Jane Goodall studying us, then we are a bunch of monkeys. I must say that he is being up front about it. Could have done the whole thing and not breathed a word. Still, since the black helicopters took Reg away I'm a lot more carefull. Only thing left to decide is whether I am a silver-back or a chimp that throws poo. K

·
Super Moderator
20,596 Posts
If it is Jane Goodall studying us, then we are a bunch of monkeys. I must say that he is being up front about it. Could have done the whole thing and not breathed a word. Still, since the black helicopters took Reg away I'm a lot more carefull. Only thing left to decide is whether I am a silver-back or a chimp that throws poo. K
No, we are primates. And you're correct, he didn't have to disclose his plans.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well this is certainly more of a response than I anticipated..lol

To clear some things up:

-I am a freshman in college. This is not my thesis and it will not be published. The only "Personal Gain" I will get from this is a grade.

- I am going to cite everything properly, and participation is OPTIONAL. No one will have their real name put in my paper unless they really want me to use it.

-I will not be evaluating the entire forum, I have to find a more specific question to answer. Right now "How do experienced members react to new members?" And "How does a new member gain respect from the group?" look like a good place to start.

-Although I do not currently own a CX in the form of a motorcycle, I do not consider myself a complete outsider. I am definitely a beginner in the world of CX's but I do not intend to sound like an outsider getting into someone else's business. In fact, the way this forum is organized combined with how friendly and helpful most members are is one of the reasons that I want to get another CX for my first motorcycle. As an engineering student I find machinery itself to be very interesting. I really do enjoy these bikes and I appreciate all of the thought that has been put into their design. I also have a great deal of respect for people who like to repair/restore/improve upon things.

So to sum it all up, I don't mean any disrespect towards anyone. I am aware that this is a tight knit community and that is why it is so interesting to observe.

Thanks for hearing me out.

~Jacob

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Would anyone happen to know if the results from the surveys on the home page are stored anywhere? I saw one a while back that showed the most common age group of people on the forum.

Thanks
~Jacob

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
If I can add a question to this thread. It also deals with who we are.
How many real members do you guys(oh mods and super mods) think we have after deducting all the spam signups etc.
Some super mods at a rally:wink-new:

·
Super Moderator
20,596 Posts
Youre welcome wfjacoby.

My guess would be 1 - 2000. How many of those are active is another question.

If you browse through the member list you'll see many members of the spamlish community.

We have a total membership of 22,685 at this moment. This time last year we were hitting 10,000 I think. Then the spammers were signing up in droves until the site was reformatted or whatever you call it.

We are more secure now and we have better tools.

·
Super Moderator
11,451 Posts
AH, but consider.....

The CX/GL and variants are 30 some years old. A forum with somewhat represented membership in the 1-2000 range speaks some pretty big volumes about the two formats *the board and the bike*, eh?

:)

Joel in the Couve

1 - 20 of 30 Posts