Honda CX 500 Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks again bob for sharing your knowledge, much appreciated.
Want the bike as a tourer for me and the missus, so I'm thinking the original shock will be more then enough, after an overhaul.
Have you or anyone put a Goldwing 1100,1200 fairing on a silverwing. The fairing I got is a bit tired and if I need to get another, the Goldwing fairings come up quite often.
Atb
Jay

·
Super Moderator
14,898 Posts
What he said ^^^
As a matter of fact, I had the original fairing from my GL1100 GoldWing on a number of bikes (including a GL500 and the current CX650E based machine) over a 19 year period until it started cracking from all the time spent on potholed dirt/gravel roads and I replaced it with one from a GL650.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I tried to put a 1982 Goldwing fairing on my ’81 Silverwing and discovered that plug going from the bike to the fairing was configured differently that the one in the fairing. Even though both plugs had 9 terminals and everything was stock, the colors of the wires did not match up. I did a bit of research on it at the time and if memory serves me correctly, the ’81-82 GW 1100 harness works with the ’82 ’83 Silverwings and an ’80 GW 1100 harness will work with the ’81 Silverwing. That being said, it’s a pretty simple matter to swap out a fairing harness. Never looked into the 1200 harness.

·
Registered
776 Posts
The wire colours should be the same so you could move the terminals around in the fairing's connector to match the plug on the harness...
I gotta back up. First, I was trying to put an '81 Silverwing fairing onto my '82 Goldwing. It did not work. Here's the thing. In addition to the 9 wires in the plug, the later fairing harnesses (my words) have an additional green wire coming out of the fairing while the early fairing harnesses (my words) do not.
gl1100 fairing harness1 (2)a2.jpg

I think it comes through a separate hole with a rubber grommet. There is a corresponding connector coming out of the piggtail harness connected to the main fairing thusly:
pigtail w green wire2.jpg
So, I put the '81 fairing having an early fairing harness onto the '82 GW and only then noticed that there was no corresponding wire coming out of the fairing, no hole, no grommet. IIRC nothing about the fairing worked. End of swap. Here's a pigtail from an early harness, no green wire.
pigtail2.jpg
Maybe one could put an early pigtail onto a later bike harness but I wasn't going there.

As for the plug wires not matching, I was going off of the first picture. I did not see a solid green wire going into the plug and concluded that plug wires of an early fairing harness did not match up with a later pigtail, but I could be wrong. In any case, there are 10 wires coming out of the '82 GW bike wiring harness with only 9 wires from an '81 Silverwing fairing to meet them and nothing in the fairing worked with the odd green wire just dangling. I might have tried to ground the odd green wire from the bike but that did not help. The key is to make sure that bike and fairing both either do or do not have the additional green wire.

·
Super Moderator
14,898 Posts
I thought they all had a separate green but the only ones I've looked closely at are an '82 GL500 and an '83 GL1100 (I have another 1100 fairing with wiring in the attic but it is too cold to go up there on the off chance that it is an '80-'82). A check of the coloured wiring drawings indicates that the '81 GL500I and the '80-'82 GL1100I have the green wire in the 9 terminal connector and the '83 GL1100I, '82 GL500I and the GL650I have a separate green wire. They also indicate that the models that have the green wire in the connector have a separate orange wire.

The following 10 wires run to the fairing of all GL1100I, GL500I and GL650I
- blue (high beam)
- white (low beam)
- orange (left turn signal)
- orange/white (left marker light)
- light blue (right signal)
- light blue/white (right marker)
- green (ground)
- red (always live 12V)(for clock & radio memory)
- light green/black or light green/white? (accessory)
- brown/white (parking light - not needed in North America)

BTW: The sub harness in your 2nd pic might have the separate green or orange wire but tucked inside the boot.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
been looking around and the gl1200 fairing looks a bit different to the gl1100, would this mount up to the gl650 sub frame ok.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Thanks Murray and Bob will stick to gl1100.

Reactions: Sidecar Bob

·
Registered
108 Posts
… The fairing I got is a bit tired and if I need to get another, the Goldwing fairings come up quite often.
Atb
Jay
I have a GL650 fairing, screen and panniers and seat and probably the bracketry. All would need a fair bit of work to spruce it up, but here's the good bit…

I am in the UK (Surrey) so not far from you and you can have the lot. Just come and collect if you want.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I have a GL650 fairing, screen and panniers and seat and probably the bracketry. All would need a fair bit of work to spruce it up, but here's the good bit…

I am in the UK (Surrey) so not far from you and you can have the lot. Just come and collect if you want.
You have a pm good sir.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

Just like to say a big thanks to Ken.
Thanks for the parts you generously let me have for free, and thanks for the chin wag and tour of your project filled workshop. Truly envious with so many CX/GL' s in one place. ( and the GL1100 lol ).
Jay

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Hi
Another engine swap question, I have had s search but can’t find a definitive answer. Can a CX500 engine fit into a cx650 custom frame.
Atb
Jay

·
Registered
24,223 Posts
yup done that quite a few times you can even use the cx500 front engine carrier and weld a pair of tabs on to it at the front for the second bolts

you dont have to change output shafts the cx 650 drive shaft is spring loaded forward and will sit quite happily over the cx500 blunt end output shaft

so leave it all alone if its a gl500 motor if not you will need a rae san and tell ray you are putting the cx 500 cdi motor into a cx650 ti and he will send you what you need

to plug it all in

other wise you need to change the back end of the motor or the controls and wiring harness

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
yup done that quite a few times you can even use the cx500 front engine carrier and weld a pair of tabs on to it at the front for the second bolts

you dont have to change output shafts the cx 650 drive shaft is spring loaded forward and will sit quite happily over the cx500 blunt end output shaft

so leave it all alone if its a gl500 motor if not you will need a rae san and tell ray you are putting the cx 500 cdi motor into a cx650 ti and he will send you what you need

to plug it all in

other wise you need to change the back end of the motor or the controls and wiring harness
Excellent cheers Murray. It is a cdi engine but will use harness, controls from the 500 anyway.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts