Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on an idea to make my GL500 engine mountable and able to be started up and running off the bike. The idea is for some type of bracket that can be attached to a standard automotive engine stand. i thought I would post here to see if someone has already accomplished this. No sense re-inventing the wheel. Please let me know if you have a setup like this.

Also, still having difficulty figuring out how to post pictures on the forum. Help?

Thanks, Dan

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
While I have nothing to offer on the stand question, the picture topic is a common one. Basically, you need to upload them to PhotoBucket or some other web storage outside of this forum. When done, get to the pic you want there, and you should see some choices of ways to share that pic, look for a link that says, "Direct Link", highlite and copy that, then come back here to your post and use the "insert image" button two buttons to the right of the smiley face, click that, then paste what you copied in that box that is highlited "http://". Your pic will appear where your cursor is in your post. I use the CTL C to copy, and CTL V to paste. I think the method in the Quick Reference might work for others, but this is how I do it.

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
Is it just to run it or to work on it too? If it's just to run it then I see no reason why a bracket couldn't be built to hold the front engine hanger simulating the frame.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hopefully, tio wok on it and the run it. I can see a removeable fuel tank and battery. Trying to figure out coolant. Perhaps an unpressurized sump would work if it held enough coolant. Maybe a couple of gallons.

Whadda y'all think?

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
Hopefully, tio wok on it and the run it. I can see a removeable fuel tank and battery. Trying to figure out coolant. Perhaps an unpressurized sump would work if it held enough coolant. Maybe a couple of gallons.

Whadda y'all think?

I would just slap on a radiator. It's only two quarts of coolant and goes on and off with two clamps. You can even extend the hoses if needed to get them out of the way a bit.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
There's nothing maintenance or repair wise to be gained or improved upon by running the engine outside the frame.

If you wanted to run it, you don't need a stand. The only thing that would interfere with you putting it on 2X4's, a table or a milk crate would be the exhaust. That's easy enough to remedy, put the headers upside down so they're pointing up, then attach the H box or just the mufflers and there ya go. You can leave the radiator, carbs etc. attached when you remove the engine, and it's easy enough to hook up the coils and the rest of the wiring. The design is pretty much like a generator or stationary pump, it's all there in a compact package.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPAgpE41UJo

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,010 Posts
There would be drawbacks to using a stand while working on these engines. If you attach to the rear mounts, you can't do any work in the rear cover. If you use the front hangers, you can't remove the heads.

Personally, I think a turntable on the workbench would be much more useful.

R

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, all. I think that video pretty much says it all!

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
Perhaps a junk frame could be chopped/welded to make something a little more stable, yet provide access to the timing cover and other points of interest.

Who knows what could result from a mix of scrap metal and lumber and some creativity.

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
Earlier this year I purchased a GL650I parts bike. Several folks here on the forum have obtained parts from it.

The frame is a little rusty and untitled. It has been offered for free if anyone wanted to pick it up. Since there have been no takers I've decided to make an engine stand out of it.

Here it is after a half hour session with a sawzall and die grinder.

More to come as the project unfolds...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts