Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks in advance, ok so i am carefully dis assembling & getting ready to remove engine, my question is when the motor comes out does the drive shaft stay and just slip it out of the spine on the motor side all my wireing is marked and diconnected and besides romoving engine mount bolts this baby should be ready to go...

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks CXPHREAK it showed the bolt in the final drive instructions just wanted to be sure.just drained the engine oil looks pretty good no metal as i can see i will get that 12mm lossened up double check all the wireing and in the morning she will come out

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok so another question should i bring this motor to top dead center before it comes out. And to get the fan and the flywhell off can i get a reference for that i think someone said they are just bolts i should use. does anyone have those sizes i can pick them up before work later.

·
Super Moderator
23,717 Posts
I don't know what job you have in mind for engine removal but it can't hurt to set it up in position for setting the left tappets.

Unless you will be replacing the camchain it probably doesn't matter much but it is a good precaution, --- just in case.

M14 x 1.5 bolt to remove the fan.

M20 x 1.5 bolt to remove the flywheel.

Where you buy these is up to you, I can't give you any advice here, I am in another hemisphere to you.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes the motor is coming out as I am doing the cam chain and mech seal. thanks again and for the bolts i will try auto parts store, hardware or local home depot should not be hard to find all these places are enroute to work later thanks so much.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well as the engine never had any leaks I might take the time to paint the engine while in the was reading a few post on that subject and my clear coat is fine so some cleaning and some paint will be in order.. hmmmm color choices.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Well as the engine never had any leaks I might take the time to paint the engine while in the was reading a few post on that subject and my clear coat is fine so some cleaning and some paint will be in order.. hmmmm color choices.

The M-20 bolt may be difficult to find. Try Fasten-all too.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Just to clarify, the drive shaft bolt needs to be completely removed, not just loosened.  As you are removing the engine, you can push back on the rear part of the shaft to push it off the front part.  You can set the engine to TDC either before or after you remove it, not much difference or maybe a little easier to do it after it's out of the frame.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Thanks Kingston Nate that red looks pretty cool.

Thank you
At Fleet Farm, looking over the high temp paints, I saw the red, pictured it in my head, and it kinda made sense. It is the heart of the bike
I still called my brother to make sure I wasn't nuts lol! Silver is more forgiving, but red high temp rtv masks nicks fairly well. I'm sure whatever you do will be great. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok so today I am hoping to have this motor out, and gonna try to hunt down these bolts for pulling fly wheel & fan. When I get this mech seal from Doward any tips on removal and installation

·
Registered
5,563 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks bandit trying to look up the size of these bolts I need to find the lengths I need for the flywhell and the fan pulled bolts I called the fastenal local place but till I have a length they can't help me lol

1 - 20 of 170 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.