Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm dropping my engine for the first time and I'm stuck on the rear engine mounting bolt(the long one). I've got the nut off it but the bolt won't budge. Is it possible to hammer it out as only option I can think of it drilling it out at this point

Cx500b London. Uk

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
Assuming you have the weight of the engine off the bolt/frame, I would spray with a good penetrant allow to soak a bit. Install the nut part way on the bolt and give it a few gentle raps with a wood or rubber mallet. It should break free for removal.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Corroded Bolt

I'm dropping my engine for the first time and I'm stuck on the rear engine mounting bolt(the long one). I've got the nut off it but the bolt won't budge. Is it possible to hammer it out as only option I can think of it drilling it out at this point

Cx500b London. Uk
put the nut back on so you don't damage the thread. just back off nut by one or two turns.

try with a cheater bar to rotate the bolt.do this carefully you do not want to crack the rear cover. if the bolt rotates then light tap the nut as you rotate the bolt. then undo the nut anther thread and tap again.

How ever if it bolt does not rotate then it time to grab a large copper or brass drift and a big hammer and give the nut a solid hit a couple of times till you break the corrasion on the bolt. try the cheater bar on the bolt / keep repeating with the drift till the bugger moves/

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Good advice above, I'd only add using a 6 sided socket when trying to it get to move
12 sided sockets could easily round off the bolt head if you exert much force.
get it to spin before you tap/hammer it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts