Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In preparation for the triple bypass, I've got everything disconnected/removed from the motor, other than the 4 mounting bolts, the drive shaft and the clutch cable. The engine lift is in place.

1. As you can see by the picture, there isn't enough play in the clutch cable to allow removal from the exterior clutch connection. I've got it adjusted with as much play as possible, but it's not enough. Should I reconnect and pull the clutch up as much as possible, then "jam" something like a piece of wood between it and the floor - in essence keeping the clutch disengaged - then I might have enough play in the cable to disconnect? Any tricks?

2. There are a number of differences in the on line owner's manual between the 500's and 650's to make life challenging for 650 owners. Most of the information relates to the 500's. And the drive shaft bolt appears to be one of them, however there doesn't appear to be a drive shaft bolt on the 650E. Am I looking in the wrong place? If it doesn't have one, then I would imagine once all four engine bolts have been removed I would simply move the engine forward and some sort of spline like connection would simply allow for a simple separation.

Any assistance on these fronts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Johnny

·
Registered
546 Posts
In preparation for the triple bypass, I've got everything disconnected/removed from the motor, other than the 4 mounting bolts, the drive shaft and the clutch cable. The engine lift is in place.

1. As you can see by the picture, there isn't enough play in the clutch cable to allow removal from the exterior clutch connection. I've got it adjusted with as much play as possible, but it's not enough. Should I reconnect and pull the clutch up as much as possible, then "jam" something like a piece of wood between it and the floor - in essence keeping the clutch disengaged - then I might have enough play in the cable to disconnect? Any tricks?

2. There are a number of differences in the on line owner's manual between the 500's and 650's to make life challenging for 650 owners. Most of the information relates to the 500's. And the drive shaft bolt appears to be one of them, however there doesn't appear to be a drive shaft bolt on the 650E. Am I looking in the wrong place? If it doesn't have one, then I would imagine once all four engine bolts have been removed I would simply move the engine forward and some sort of spline like connection would simply allow for a simple separation.

Any assistance on these fronts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Johnny

#1. I had the same issue. The solution is to disconnect at the handlebars.

#2. Hmmmm not sure. Pull back the boot and turn the engine over, maybe it's facing the other way? (my 650 GL had a bolt)

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Abes and Jim for the quick responses. I'll be working on this after dinner. Yes...why didn't I think of disconnecting the clutch lever on the handle bars?

·
Registered
8,422 Posts

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
You can also take a Cresent wrench and use it to swing the clutch arm enough to get the cable out. Or a needle nosed Vise Grip works too.

By the way, both of the nuts should be on top of the cable holder when you reinstall the cable.

It must just be the 650 customs without that bolt (and the E models), my GL650 has a lock bolt also.

·
Registered
546 Posts
You can also take a Cresent wrench and use it to swing the clutch arm enough to get the cable out. Or a needle nosed Vise Grip works too.

By the way, both of the nuts should be on top of the cable holder when you reinstall the cable.

It must just be the 650 customs without that bolt (and the E models), my GL650 has a lock bolt also.

I found the clutch spring tension to stiff, at least doing it on my own without an extra pair of hands, and I damaged the strands of the cable trying it. At the bars is just so much easier.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was just watching a video on Youtube and the fellow removed the clutch cover from his 500T with the cable assembly NOT disconnected. The cover came off swinging from the clutch cable. Obviously there would be all the slack in the world to remove the cable. Since I'm going in to inspect I'll try it this way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.