Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1982 Honda silverwing gl500
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all! I've been a part of this forum for about a year now and it's helped me in many ways. Going into this winter I've decided to take apart the engine of my 1982 Honda silverwing GL500. I rode it all summer and it's time to give the engine what it desperatly needs. I am a beginner and this motorcycle is now part of the family, I simply love it! My first question is where can I find a rebuild kit for all the gaskets, o-rings, springs and whatever else I will need to put the engine back together properly. Keep in mind I'm taking the entire engine apart and having a blast doing it. Thank you and I'm glad I've found the right place.

P.S. my email is [email protected]
Feel free to contact me

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Hello to all! I've been a part of this forum for about a year now and it's helped me in many ways. Going into this winter I've decided to take apart the engine of my 1982 Honda silverwing GL500. I rode it all summer and it's time to give the engine what it desperatly needs. I am a beginner and this motorcycle is now part of the family, I simply love it! My first question is where can I find a rebuild kit for all the gaskets, o-rings, springs and whatever else I will need to put the engine back together properly. Keep in mind I'm taking the entire engine apart and having a blast doing it. Thank you and I'm glad I've found the right place.

P.S. my email is [email protected]
Feel free to contact me
Hi Welcome,
(Aftermarket) Gasket kits are available but the head gaskets for these are lacking-Use OEM/Murrays carbs sourced.
When you mention springs are there any you are referring to?? Many of these are still available OEM.

Cheers

Edit: For parts other than seals/gaskets/o-rings my advice would be replace only what is out of spec.....

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,198 Posts
Are you stripping down the engine just for the experience? If so, find a non-runner to explore. You'll learn a lot and you won't risk damaging your running bike.
As a beginning (or even experienced) mechanic, there are many things you can make worse that would have been better left alone. There are numerous examples of someone doing "a complete tear down to make sure everything is perfect" and never finishing reassembly. These end up languishing for years in the back of the garage and eventually sold for parts.
If there are problems you're trying to correct, diagnose thoroughly (with the help of this forum), then fix it while disturbing as little as possible of what is working properly.

·
Super Moderator
23,215 Posts
"There are numerous examples of someone doing "a complete tear down to make sure everything is perfect" and never finishing reassembly. These end up languishing for years in the back of the garage and eventually sold for parts. "

He's right.

I have a shed full of bikes and motors in pieces.

I bought all of this stuff this way.

I've been making engines from parts These engines were mostly pulled down to find the sources of the big end knock.

An issue that there is a five minute test for.

·
Registered
1982 Honda silverwing gl500
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Welcome,
(Aftermarket) Gasket kits are available but the head gaskets for these are lacking-Use OEM/Murrays carbs sourced.
When you mention springs are there any you are referring to?? Many of these are still available OEM.

Cheers

Edit: For parts other than seals/gaskets/o-rings my advice would be replace only what is out of spec.....
Hi Welcome,

Cheers

Hi Welcome,

Cheers

Edit: For parts other than seals/gaskets/o-rings
Hi Welcome,

Cheers

Thank you for your advice, I will definitely go that route. This is the spring, it's attached to the gear shifter on the inside if the engine.
Are you stripping down the engine just for the experience? If so, find a non-runner to explore. You'll learn a lot and you won't risk damaging your running bike.
As a beginning (or even experienced) mechanic, there are many things you can make worse that would have been better left alone. There are numerous examples of someone doing "a complete tear down to make sure everything is perfect" and never finishing reassembly. These end up languishing for years in the back of the garage and eventually sold for parts.
If there are problems you're trying to correct, diagnose thoroughly (with the help of this forum), then fix it while disturbing as little as possible of what is working properly.
Thats a great point, I'm mainly looking for the reason my coolant mixed in with the oil and looking at the rocker assembly and piston. I don't want to go peice by peice if I don't have to. But while I have it open I may as well put anything new that's easy to replace. My pops actually said the same thing, "are you going to be able to put it back together?" LOl

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Coolant in oil.....mechanical seal first suspect but a leakdown test will let you know if its something else.....look up Shep method for the seal......but given its a 1982 you can pop the engine and replace the entire seal (cup etc)

·
Registered
11,198 Posts
.....look up Shep method for the seal......but given its a 1982 you can pop the engine and replace the entire seal (cup etc)
The model year has little to do with it. The Shep method is employed to change the seal in-frame, vs dropping the engine. Enlarging the opening in an earlier rear cover to accept the later, currently available seal is an easy procedure.

·
Registered
11,198 Posts
Thats a great point, I'm mainly looking for the reason my coolant mixed in with the oil and looking at the rocker assembly and piston. I don't want to go peice by peice if I don't have to. But while I have it open I may as well put anything new that's easy to replace. My pops actually said the same thing, "are you going to be able to put it back together?" LOl
Unless you have low compression, I'd leave pistons, rings, etc. alone. Availability of main bearings and big end shells is very limited, so without an indication of a problem there, I'd leave all that in place, too.
You'll have plenty to keep you busy with the top end and the rest of the bike. How's your ProLink?

Reactions: richnct

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,475 Posts
Unless the weep hole is blocked it is not likely that coolant in the oil was caused by a failed mechanical seal. It is far more likely to be caused by a bad head gasket.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts

·
Registered
11,198 Posts
It is far more likely to be caused by a bad head gasket.
To identify the failing head gasket, set each cylinder to TDC on compression. Pressurize the cylinder using a leak-down adapter. Listen / watch for bubbles in the coolant reservoir.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts