Honda CX 500 Forum banner

Engine Rear Case Removal

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Shep 
#1 ·
Hello again!

So again I'm a bit of a noob and am having difficulty. I'm trying to remove the rear cover as the Stator needs replacing. (potentially more than that...but moving on) I've got all of the bolts off, the water pump case off, the shift lever off, etc... but I just cannot get the case to come off. The seal is broken and its sitting about 1/4 inch open but it feels like its catching on itself somewhere and I cant for the life of me figure out what the problem is. Can someone help?? Thanks!

#2 ·
It always helps if you specify what model and year bike you have

a there are a few differences

If its an early CDI type model

You need to remove the impellor from the pump as well

you dont say if you removed that.

If its a later TI type

As well as the impellor, you also need to remove the pulsers and advance retard unit

from the very rear of the case

with these removed you should be able to lift it off but will feel some resistance

from the magnets acting on the rotor

also, tap the gear change shaft in as you withdraw the case to keep it on the

engine block

dont worry too much about what the drive shaft does

#3 ·
Thanks! I'll try the pulsars. I have an '82 Gl500I so, so im not sure which model. My Clymer says to remove the rear bolts and the impeller, I have all of that off. I had the pulsar case off to see if it was catching anywhere, I didnt see anything but I'll check again, the case lifts off then hits something after. Thank you though!

#4 ·
All GL500/I's have the TI ignition. To pull the rear cover, the timing cover must be removed first and the mechanical timing advance unit removed. That's probably what is hitting.

If you haven't already done so, be sure to download a factory service manual and read it first. Doing so will likely save much grief later.

Please take a few minutes to edit your profile to show your location and to edit your signature to show your bike's year and model.

#5 ·
Just removed the rear cover on my '82 GL500I as well. I kinda had the same problem and kept tapping and pulling until - POP! - I had forgotten to remove the mechanical seal behind the impeller. DOH!

Since the mech. seal popped out at that point, I can't really tell you the best method for removing it. I'm absolutely positive there is someone here who can though.

Fib

#6 ·
Unless its too late make sure you push in on the shifter shaft or you risk pulling it out along with the rear case, and most people have issues re-aligning it properly.

And the output shaft if I remember right. make sure it stays on the engine. I made the mistake of putting my case back on and forgot about it, so I had to make my own rear gasket as the first one with sealer tore apart.

#7 ·
Yeah it was the advance unit, I feel really silly now the book even said so and it must have gone in one ear out the other, so to speak. Thank you for the help! Came off no sweat now, stator has been replaced. Which reminds me, in my repair manual it mentions pulsers that should be on either side of the stator, like ears. There are definitely spots for them... but they are missing. Were these just included on older models and the mounts for them just vestigial now? On to the next problem!

Also, inside the case on the rotor and other bits there are small areas where it looks like its starting to rust... should I be worried?

#8 ·
in my repair manual it mentions pulsers that should be on either side of the stator, like ears. There are definitely spots for them... but they are missing. Were these just included on older models and the mounts for them just vestigial now?

Yes, they are not needed or used on TI bikes.

A small amount of rust suggests the engine has been stood unused

no big deal, just clean it up a bit and spray some oil on it

when its being used, engine oil gets sploshed everywhere.

#9 ·
The confusion can arise between the CDI engines and the TAI engines(Which we now know yours is).Both The CDI and TAI engines have two large main timing pulsars around the Starter flywheel inside the engine.The CDI engines also have some small ones in the rear Advance and Retard section but the TAI engines don't.They have a different Advance and retard unit in the same place.

Note:When reassembling,"Your" engine the Advance and Retard unit can be installed 180 Deg out so make certain you know this and fit it correctly.This does not occur on the earlier engines with the Coil/Pulsar Advance and retard unit as they have a single mark for installation

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.