Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to pull the engine from my bike to replace the bad Stator, and fix a few other things if possible. I would appreciate any opinions on what should do while I am in there. Here is what I know I have to do;

- Replace the Stator (will also do the leaky mechanical seal and check the timing chain for wear. Would replace the chain but cant seem to source a new one)

- Fix the Tack pickup. The tack cable doesnt spin (nor does the tab that drives it inside the front case piece). I have a used off of Ebay cover with a tach pickup that seems to work, which I will use to replace the existing one (unless the damage is on the engine takoff ?)

So, it looks like I will be removing both the back cover and the tack cover on the front (if I can get the fan off). Not sure if its worth removing the whole front cover ?

Any suggestions on what I should check and what "bits" I should pickup before I start. I do have front and back gaskets (from a complete kit I bought but didnt use as I only pulled the water pump case and heads).

I am hoping to check and fix up as much as possible so I dont have to pull the engine again :)

Thanks all, as I am just learning about this engine I really need help making the right decisions once I have the engine on the bench :)

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
PartsNMore has a MUCH better price on the cam chain.

Little Buffalow used theirs with good results. I have one in my bike. Only run it about 50 miles but I am still getting it right.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Tonyr, I will check as I am not having a lot of luck even finding them. Sent an Email to servicehonda, as they show it, but no price or other details. I will check PartsNMore, thanks for the info :)

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just ordered one from PartsNMore for $60.00 Now just need to fugure out any orings and seals I need and see if I can get them from TAS when I order the mech seal

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks a lot Shep for the info. Looked at the oring set and wonder if they are the same material as the ones I have. I used to do extinguisher servicing and have hundreds of different size orings from really tiny to big. Not sure what they are made from (some form of rubber) but are used to seal the pressurized bottles and check stems.

Best part is I though the missed Fedex delivery was my Stator, but UPS just delivered that as I was reading this post. Guess the Fedex one has to be the timing chain :) Now just have to get the shed finished and garage emptied, then I can start my taredown :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.