Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1982 Honda GL500I Silverwing
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a question about the engine oil filter housing on a '82 SilverWing Interstate. Prior to performing an oil/filter change, I checked the FSM and saw this diagram:
World Font Slope Rectangle Parallel

Then when I removed my filter housing to replace the oil filter, I did not see the spring/washer shown in the pic.
I looked carefully to see if they were stuck inside the case or in the old filter, but could not see them.
For now I just installed the new filter and housing exactly as it was.
Bike ran fine before the oil change and also after with the Oil Pressure light switching off after a few seconds from restart.
Just wondering about the "missing" spring/washer...
Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
P.S. After poking around in the forum for a bit I saw an old post/thread that shows 2 different lenghts of the filter housing, so just to clarify my filter housing is a hair over 54mm in length...
Zero metal debris in old motor oil by the way.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You definitely want to get the spring and washer in there. Not having the spring is essentially the same as running without the filter. This spring doesn’t have anything to do with the oil bypass valve. The bypass valve and all of its components are located inside the bolt that holds the oil filter cover in place.
Thanks, Doug, just ordered both parts so that I can correct the issue. Luckily engine oil was changed twice in the past 3 months with less than 300 miles put on her so, hopefully, no internal damage.
I appreciate all the help I am receiving here on the forum!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sunny and 29 degrees F so perfect weather to be out in the driveway freezing my ass while I installed the spring and washer. Put the bike on the centerstand and shimmed the front wheel up to minimize loss of oil while I undid the filter housing. Managed to complete the job without too much hassle. I plan to put a couple hundred miles on this oil/filter then change it again in case there was some debris floating around the motor left over from running the filter without the spring.
Happy Thanksgiving, everybody!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Any debris in the motor will be captured by the filter in short period of time. No need to change for that given reason.
You make a good point, but out of curiosity, when Spring arrives, I want to change oil & filter again and take a good look at the current one to see what, if anything, is stuck in there. Just for the hell of it. During winter time I won't probably get to ride the Honda more than a couple hundred miles here and there. Winter is when the Ural sidecar rig really comes thru!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts