Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1979 CX500 Custom, 1981 GL500 SilverWing
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all !... I bought a '79 CX500 Custom (says 12 / 78) and it doesn't have the three "dots" in front of the engine serial number (PCO1E-2005746)... does this mean the factory recall business wasn't taken care of ? The odometer says 12,000+ kilometers...

·
Super Moderator
24,024 Posts
What does the number start with?

Unless your 79 C is fitted with an early standard engine it won't be affected.

If your number starts with PCOE it is a custom engine and not involved with the recall. If it start with CX500E - 20 on the other hand.

Your 79 C number likely goes PCOE {or is it PCO1E, I forget} and starts with 20 because 79 was the first year for the C.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What does the number start with?

Unless your 79 C is fitted with an early standard engine it won't be affected.

If your number starts with PCOE it is a custom engine and not involved with the recall. If it start with CX500E - 20 on the other hand.

Your 79 C number likely goes PCOE {or is it PCO1E, I forget} and starts with 20 because 79 was the first year for the C.
Yes, you're right - it's PCO1E so all seems well - thanks a lot !

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,970 Posts
Hi, all !... I bought a '79 CX500 Custom (says 12 / 78)
The VIN plate should have both the model year and the built date. In order to have the new models available for sale at the beginning of the year most bikes made for the North American market are made in the last quarter of the previous year.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The VIN plate should have both the model year and the built date. In order to have the new models available for sale at the beginning of the year most bikes made for the North American market are made in the last quarter of the previous year.
Thanks, Bob... I just started it up - out of sheer impatience - and it was slowly dripping gas from the right side carburetor (looked like) but I think I've read here somewhere that a good long ride might "seat" things and "nudge things into place"... any thoughts ?

·
Super Moderator
18,970 Posts
Where is it dripping from?
If it is dripping from the overflow hose first check that the screw isn't loose (it should seal when it is properly snug but don't overtighten it either.
If that doesn't help turn off the petcock, put a container under the drain hose and loosen the drain screw to drain the carb, then tap on the side of the float bowl a few times with the handle of a screwdriver (sometimes loosens debris caught in the float valve), do up the drain screw, turn the petcock on and start the bike to see if it still drips.
If that doesn't fix it you will need to have the float bowl off to clean the float valve's needle & seat (a Q-tip dipped in methanol works well for things like that) and check the brass overflow tube inside the bowl for cracks.

If it is dripping from anywhere else you will need to figure out where.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If it is dripping from the overflow hose first check that the screw isn't loose (it should seal when it is properly snug but don't overtighten it either.
If that doesn't help turn off the petcock, put a container under the drain hose and loosen the drain screw to drain the carb, then tap on the side of the float bowl a few times with the handle of a screwdriver (sometimes loosens debris caught in the float valve), do up the drain screw, turn the petcock on and start the bike to see if it still drips.
If that doesn't fix it you will need to have the float bowl off to clean the float valve's needle & seat (a Q-tip dipped in methanol works well for things like that) and check the brass overflow tube inside the bowl for cracks.

Thanks !... I'll check it out this evening.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks !... I'll check it out this evening.
I forgot one part of your suggestion - the part after "now listen carefully!"... I removed the seat and tank, didn't see anything loose or broken, drained the bowls and tapped on them, removed the drain screws - the o-rings don't look great... I put compressed air into those holes... I connected a foot-long hose to the fuel line and dipped it into a pop bottle full of gas and turned over the engine but it wouldn't start... I put the tank back on, re-connected the fuel line and it started up like a son-of-a-gun and doesn't leak anymore... at least for now... thanks again, all !

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Thanks, Sidecar Bob !... (see below?)

·
Super Moderator
18,970 Posts
I connected a foot-long hose to the fuel line and dipped it into a pop bottle full of gas and turned over the engine but it wouldn't start...
This is not at all surprising. Fuel flows from the tank to the carbs by gravity so it can't suck fuel out of a bottle like that.

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
This is not at all surprising. Fuel flows from the tank to the carbs by gravity so it can't suck fuel out of a bottle like that.
Gravity is what it is. Why would an "aux" supply make any difference? I use them on a regal basis when needed. All you have to do is plug the vac connection on a GL..

·
Super Moderator
18,970 Posts
An auxiliary tank will work as long as the outlet is on the bottom so the fuel can flow downhill to the carbs.
Putting the end of a hose into a bottle of fuel would require the fuel to flow up out of the bottle before running down to the carbs and without a fuel pump that won't work.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts