Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Background:
Bike: CX500 (1980) Custom rebuild to "bobber". Replacement engine from 1982 with unknown history, but seemed ok when I last summer assembled it with rear and front cover from the old engine. (And yes, I had to exchange flywheels to get the ignition to work, but that's for another thread!)
The enginen has not been silent (!), with quite a lot of rattling, something my (car)mechanic says is to be expected with an old engine with push rods, etc.
The valve play has been checked: ok.

But:
The other day my engine suddenly started to develop a more disturbing rattling sound that said: "Hey! Time to limp home,! Shut me off. Now!"

So I did.
And I drained the motor oil and didn't see any visible traces of metal in the oil. Good.
Main bearing doesn't "clunk" when I try this method of checking it.

I then removed the front cover to check oil pump chain. It has a play more like 4 mm then the recommended 2 - 3.5, so I will try to tension it.
Then I discovered that the c
Clutch case is kind of loose! And it moves in and out on the axle.
See video:

Is this normal?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And here you can see / hear my first start of the bike, last summer. To much rattle?

·
Super Moderator
20,601 Posts
I think the special basket retaining nut has come loose. Those without the special tool often torque them back up by unspeakable means like hammers and punches or even cold chisels. Torque is between 58 and 72 ft/lb from memory, so quite high to achieve without appropriate leverage.

It is behind the lifter plate/thrust bearing.

If removing this to check go around in circles undoing the bolts a turn at a time or you'll break a post. Do the same when reassembling. 6 - 9 ft/lb for these.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
There is a belleville washer behind the nut. You can grind an old socket to become the special tool. That concave washer is the critical locking point. It must be installed convex side out.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Please fit a fork brace to those bendy front forks.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update:
I made the special tool to get the basket retaining nut off (it was not loose).
Removed the clutch basket and washers.
The lateral play seems to origin from the outer bearing race moving (!) in and out. See end of video.
Rotaition seems smooth.

Thoughts?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts