Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the back story...

I came into a 1978 CX500 that was stored under a raised house for somewhere around 22 years. I'm not sure of it's history and why it was left there. I got it from a guy who bought the house and contents where it was stored so he's no help about the history. My theory is that whoever owned it laid it down once and never got back on. There is very minor scraping on the brake lever/throttle grip and the highway peg on that side is bent a little. No dings in the tank. I'm not sure if the muffler had any damage because the mufflers and h-box are badly rusted. The outside of the bike is really rough. This will be my fourth Honda I've brought back to life (2 '74 CL360's and a '73 CB350)and by far in the worst cosmetic shape.

I haven't tried to start her yet because I want to give a good once over. I pulled the valve covers and front cover and the inside looks pristine. Every time I pull a bolt the head is gray, rusty, and ugly but the threads look brand new.

Here's where I run into problems. I pulled off the 17mm covers to the timing inspection hole and the one in the front of the engine where you manually move the pistons (not sure what that hole is called). I put a wrench to that bolt - won't move.

Now I really doubt that the engine is seized. Is the engine supposed to be in neutral for that bolt to turn? I've tried putting it in the highest gear and turning the rear wheel but it won't move either.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
583 Posts
If it sat for a very long time, the rings could simply be stuck from a light coating of rust. Take the plugs out,and put some marvel mystery oil down and let it sit for a few days. Then put the bike in 5th and try rocking it. You may be able to free it that way.

If that doesn't work, time to pull the heads and have look at the bores.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Done. I didn't have mystery oil but I grabbed some CLP break free from my gun cleaning stuff and soaked it.

·
Super Moderator
15,413 Posts
leave the plugs out when trying to turn it over. After 18 years my engine was locked up pretty good but penetrating fluid in the cylinders, time and rocking the bike back and forth in 5th gear with the clutch pulled in and then dropping it got me free.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Give me a holler sterno, I'm at the j yard taking apart a 78 later today...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts