Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I think its time I am gonna replace all the gaskets and o-rings on my 79 cx500 custom also while I am at it go ahead and do cam chain, cam chain tensioner, stator, mechanical seal looking for some advice on brands to buy as far as the gasket set and the brands to do the triple bypass so wants it done its done I dont want to have to go back in so any advice would help. Pretty much just totally rehaul the engine get it in tip top shape. If anybody has any input on any other things I should do while I am in there please let me know.

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
A lot of this type of information is included in the Quick Reference section of the General Discussion area.

There are a few places where you NEED to use Honda OEM gaskets, like the head gaskets and rear cover. Most of the others are okay with aftermarkets. Stators can be rewound, or bought new. Try to steer clear of Electrosports as there has been quite a few unhappy campers with them. Several recommendations are on this forum, but I've not had the need.

You'll get some other folks with more information give you a hand, but check that section over anyway, and grab the free service manual while your at it.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks good info I have checked it over just really wanted to get some personal opinions on this so thank you hope to get plenty of input on this before it happens.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input guys...

·
Registered
639 Posts
I got a "complete" set of no-brand engine gaskets from ebay a few years ago. First of all, the set wasn't complete. Second, the head gaskets did not fit well. I had to use a Dremel grinder to make them fit properly. In my case, they did seal properly but next time I have to do head gaskets, I'll definitely go with Honda. I know several forum members who've had poor sealing with no-brand head gaskets.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
I got a complete set for mine off Ebay two years ago (I think from bike bandit) and it worked well for me. I only used a couple from the set when I restored the bike, but used the others last month to do a tripple bypass. had no issues with the gaskets (they were green ones) and the important ones were perfect (rear case and head gaskets)

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
I've had good and bad After market Head gaskets over here.I even had a faulty one from a known good supplier,David Silvers.They not only replaced the gasket they sent me a full top-end kit for free!!

I have some of the original supplied to Honda gaskets that are much more substantial than many modern ones and these ones on my present,"Bitsa" CX have been re-used at least twice e.g in their 3rd re-fit,

Here's the technique I use on my head gaskets on these engines,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1Bsc2zyihU&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

·
Registered
595 Posts
Reading this scares me a little bit. I just bought this kit from eBay, because it was the cheapest that I could find and now I'm a little bit worried. The seller seems legitimate, and was very quick to respond to my message asking to ship it asap...she shipped it the same day.

However, she has another kit that's actually named (made by Athena) that was selling for like 50 dollars more. Is there any way to tell the quality of the gaskets other than slapping them on, crossing my fingers, and hoping they work? I'll probably do Shep's trick too just for peace of mind.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
There are lots of "kits " out there that say complete, but some have more or less bits. Really the only important ones are the head gaskets ... if they dont look like they are made with gasket material AND METAL then I wouldnt use them. Nothing short of a metal crash gasket will work on heads. The only other one is the rear case which need to be a definite thickness, but almost all comercially made ones for CX bikes will usually be in the right min/max value. The only issue I had with my kit was it was for 79-82 CX 500 ... which all use the same gaskets EXCEPT the advance cover gasket which is different.

The one listed for $79 is the same one I got, worked well. The one for $119 is basically the same, just a different manufacture (like everything else, sometime you pay as much for the "name" as the item). If you got the cheaper one then you will be fine and wont have the advance case gasket issue I had (only will with 82 TI bikes).

Quick note, beofre installing new gaskets, make sure the mating surfaces are as clean as possible and cover the new gasket in new engine oil (they will saok a bit up and make them more flexible and easier to install.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts