Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
I got my first CX500D with a known little issue. The oil drain screw is sealed with 2 component metal glue (not sure if this is the correct term). I guess somebody broke the thread and the metal around the thread. So i bought a replacement front cover on ebay and a gasket set. Now it is time to replace it. I looked up repair videos on YT and used advance search in the forum using the key words clutch cover etc. but none of them could answer my very simple question: is it possible to just take it off and put the new one back on? Yes, there is the oil sensor and the clutch cable. But I don't want to remove the clutch or anything else if I don't really have to.
While I am at it I'd like to replace the stator plate on the back side of the engine. Can I do both without taking the engine out of the frame?
thanks in advance for any help
Finn

·
Super Moderator
21,155 Posts
It's not a hard or a big job and can be done with the motor in the bike. The catch is that the front cover won't come off past the radiator mount on the engine hanger. But if you put the bike on the centrestand and support under the motor with a jack the hanger can be removed and the cover accessed.

Which stator plate on the back of the engine? If the small one under the small cover {advance pulsers} - yes.

But if you mean the actual stator that supplies 12 volt power to the battery and powers the ignition- no.

The engine needs to come out so that the rear engine cover can be removed.

·
Super Moderator
11,453 Posts
Even though you don't WANT to remove the rear case, it might be a good idea to do a stator test for peace of mind. That will tell you if you need to dig into the relevant areas.

·
Super Moderator
4,065 Posts
AdakoFinn wrote in part "...While I am at it I'd like to replace the stator plate on the back side of the engine. Can I do both without taking the engine out of the frame?...". That question makes me think that you haven't downloaded a copy of the factory service manual for your bike. If you haven't, visit the Wiki, link n my signature, and get one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts