Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

New to this forum and new to the world of CX500. So hello!

I have picked up a "barn find" CX500 and am in the middle of taking it to pieces, ready to sand, spray etc.

Just wondered if you guys could help me identify it, as it needs new stanchions and I don't want to order the wrong bits (am I right in saying there are differences?).

Frame number: CX500-2040966 (Gave this one when filling out V62 for DVLA - any issues?)
Engine number: PC01E-2218941

The bike had a number plate on it (BPG ***Y), which when I checked, it was registered as a 1983?

It also has dual\twin discs on the front - which I believe was UK only?

Yet neither the frame or engine match that.
It was also last taxed in 1994 - so guessing been off the road for a while.

Am I likely to get this same license plate back or be given a Q plate?

I have also read some previous posts - but is there a simple way of saying if its Standard or Deluxe?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!
By original do you mean Standard or Deluxe?

Does this mean anything for engine parts? - much different on the "Custom" engine?

I'm on the South coast in UK, West Sussex.

·
Super Moderator
21,251 Posts
Original 78 bikes only came as standards. I THINK UK and Europe78s had twin discs but I'm not sure. The 78s were single disc here and of course in the US.

The engines are identical other than numbers and possibly the breather system.

If you fill in your profile to show your location it will automatically show with each of your posts.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Original 78 bikes only came as standards. I THINK UK and Europe78s had twin discs but I'm not sure. The 78s were single disc here and of course in the US.

The engines are identical other than numbers and possibly the breather system.

If you fill in your profile to show your location it will automatically show with each of your posts.
Ah OK perfect thanks - So must be a standard.

Sorted my signature - cheers :)

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Well, looking at your image album, you certainly do appear to have a typical CX500 'bitsa'!
Some of the clues that suggest this are:
wheels are reverse Comstars, maybe from a 1981 ('B') model, but the rear's off a Custom anyway (the 'A's wheels were not of this 'reversed' design);
front mudguard off something other than any CX500 - it looks as if it's for an 18" wheel, not a 19";
rear shocks off a Custom (certainly not a CX500A);
'pointed' front indicator lenses - Honda C70 maybe;
crankcase breather off a 1981 'B' (though these were available as an update kit);
black (not grey) oil filler cap off a later bike than 1978;
handlebars off - well god knows.
Enjoy! :D

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, looking at your image album, you certainly do appear to have a typical CX500 'bitsa'!
Some of the clues that suggest this are:
wheels are reverse Comstars, maybe from a 1981 ('B') model, but the rear's off a Custom anyway (the 'A's wheels were not of this 'reversed' design);
front mudguard off something other than any CX500 - it looks as if it's for an 18" wheel, not a 19";
rear shocks off a Custom (certainly not a CX500A);
crankcase breather off a 1981 'B' (though these were available as an update kit);
black (not grey) oil filler cap off a later bike than 1978;
handlebars off - well god knows.
Enjoy! :D
Amazing info thanks! :D
Didn't realise it was such a mix up!

Rear shocks are compatible between Custom and Standard? - mine are rusted and need replacing (when i get to them).
The front mudguard will be going tonight when I get out of work - Looks like its been welded onto the forks - hopefully not ruined the forks (yes my knowledge is awful).
Handlebars will be coming off too - got some Norman Hyde 'M' bars in black to go on.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
If you're leaving the front mudguard off you should put a fork brace on it. The mudguard/fender also served to stiffen up the front forks.
Also in the UK it is a legal requirement to have a front mudguard, however small (even though not having one is not an MoT failure!).

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Rear shocks are compatible between Custom and Standard?

Same length - different looks. AFAIK also other specs identical. Hagon shocks seem to be a popular UK replacement. If you can get a pair of decently priced used KONI:s - avoid the earliest version with adjustable preload only - go for them! They´re far better than the originals and not too hard to find. You can see one on my blue one (link in my signature).

Engine number is from a 1980 custom.

Sorry Phreak - you know I´m anal about these things - the engine is from a 1981 Custom. Second digit is "0" for a model´s first year - for Custom -> 1979. "2" indicates third year of production. Explains the breather bottle, but I believe (not 100 % sure) also 1980 model Europe bikes had these "bottles". From the pictures the cylinder heads on this one clearly don´t have the breather tubes that earlier models had. So probably no update kit.

Also the first year (1978) European standard models had dual front brakes, as already suggested.

Sorry for being picky!:)

/Sture

Reactions: CXPHREAK

·
Registered
1,278 Posts

the engine is from a 1981 Custom............Explains the breather bottle, but I believe (not 100 % sure) also 1980 model Europe bikes had these "bottles". From the pictures the cylinder heads on this one clearly don´t have the breather tubes that earlier models had. So probably no update kit.
/Sture
I'm pretty certain the 1980 CX500A didn't have the crankcase breather, it was first introduced on the 1981 'B' modes, so therefore it does then suggest the engine is 1981...

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you're leaving the front mudguard off you should put a fork brace on it. The mudguard/fender also served to stiffen up the front forks.
Thanks - I'll make sure I get one :)

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also in the UK it is a legal requirement to have a front mudguard, however small (even though not having one is not an MoT failure!).
Did not know that! So not MOT failure - just a case of, if you got pulled over by a really anal policeman.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm pretty certain the 1980 CX500A didn't have the crankcase breather, it was first introduced on the 1981 'B' modes, so therefore it does then suggest the engine is 1981...
I'll have to change my signature! Cheers for the reply!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Same length - different looks. AFAIK also other specs identical. Hagon shocks seem to be a popular UK replacement. If you can get a pair of decently priced used KONI:s - avoid the earliest version with adjustable preload only - go for them! They´re far better than the originals and not too hard to find. You can see one on my blue one (link in my signature).

Sorry Phreak - you know I´m anal about these things - the engine is from a 1981 Custom. Second digit is "0" for a model´s first year - for Custom -> 1979. "2" indicates third year of production. Explains the breather bottle, but I believe (not 100 % sure) also 1980 model Europe bikes had these "bottles". From the pictures the cylinder heads on this one clearly don´t have the breather tubes that earlier models had. So probably no update kit.

Also the first year (1978) European standard models had dual front brakes, as already suggested.

/Sture
Good to know about the rear shocks - What sorta price am I expecting to pay for a second hand set of the KONIs then? (ish).
Whats the deal with these - 320mm Motorcycle Shock Absorbers Replacement Honda CX500 GL500 650 2PCS Gold | eBay - whats the "extra" bit on them, which isn't on standard?

Thanks about engine dates - have updated my signature :)

Found a set of front calipers (in need of love) but with new seals and pistons on fleBay for £72 delivered - seemed a good price.

·
Super Moderator
21,251 Posts

/Sture
Not picky at all Sture. I'd forgotten that. My daily rider is an 81 custom.

Functionally they're identical though.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
A '78 isn't even an "A". I think they call it a CX500z (zed) in your part of the world. The round master cylinder is consistent with that. Didn't the CX500A get a square MC in 1979?

Those front indicators appear to be correct for a '78 Standard.

R

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Could still be an '80 engine (isn't that what the s/n indicates?) with later heads.

R

EDIT: Oops, just re-read Sture's post. '81 it is.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
A '78 isn't even an "A". I think they call it a CX500z (zed) in your part of the world. The round master cylinder is consistent with that. Didn't the CX500A get a square MC in 1979?

Those front indicators appear to be correct for a '78 Standard.

R
I didn't say that a '78 was an 'A'. :confused: The '78 and '79 models only got called 'Z' (yes, 'zed' and not 'zee' ;)) when the 'A' model came out in 1980, so as to differentiate them. Yes, the 'A' did get the rectangular master cylinder, which changed design yet again on the 'B'! I think that tall round master cylinder was original to the '78 twin-disc models.

But the standard original indicators were not as 'pointed' as those fitted on brooktini86's bike - looks like the rear ones have the correct original lenses though. Maybe some previous owner thought that by using more streamlined lenses they would help raise the top speed - by 0.00001 mph! :D

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Several years ago I got me a set of Honda Microfiche cards and a reader. Don´t know where they are now, but at least the cards should be here, somewhere.

So - from these I gathered that only 1979 year model was called "Z". the -78 was without year model code, entirely. it was just called CX 500. 1979 was called CX 500z.

And - I may very well be mistaken - there were some changes between -78 and -79. I have a feeling the black plastic "spoke" tabs disappeared 1979. Also a rectangular brake fluid container came 1979.

My impression was that these year model codes weren´t solely a Honda thing. I just looked around a little and came up with the following - from three sites - text just copied pasted into one document. Also seems there was nothing before "Z".

How to find out the model year of my Suzuki?

It is quite easy if your bike is made for the American market and it's from the eighties or newer. You only need to find the identification plate with the VIN number somewhere on the frame of your bike. The tenth (10th) digit in the vehicles VIN code tells the model year of your bike, using the the following year codes:

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
J
K
L
M
N
P
R
S
T
V
W
X
Y
Honda
Model year
VIN Code
Description
D
E
F
G
H
J
K
L
M
N
P
R
S
T
V
W
X
Y
A
B
C
D
[h=1]Honda Motorcycle Model Prefix – VIN Number[/h] [h=2]How to decode the VIN Number on a Honda Motorcycle.[/h] Have you ever noticed the string of numbers and letters printed on the side of your Honda CBR, Valkyrie, or Shadow and wondered what they meant? Likened to the DNA of the motorcycle, these Vehicle Identification Numbers (or VIN) have appeared on every vehicle manufactured since 1981. The VIN system was implemented to create a standardized method of identifying a vehicle, a necessity for law enforcement departments. So what exactly does this jumble of data mean?

How to decode your Honda Motorcycle VIN Number in 5 steps:

1. Locate the 17-digit Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) printed on the frame of your Honda motorcycle.This is often stamped onto the right side of the steering head, where the front fork is mounted on the frame.The VIN is also imprinted on a metal tag located on the left side of the frame above the motor.
  2. Locate the first character. This letter or numeral represents the country of manufacture. In this case, a "J" for Japan should be present.
  3. Locate the second character, "H." This represents the name of the manufacturer, Honda.
  4. Locate the third character. This letter or digit represents the vehicle type. Most Honda motorcycles use a "2," which refers to a motorcycle, although "A" or "1" may also be used.
  5. Locate the fourth through the eighth characters. These letters and digits are used by each individual manufacturer to identify the model or engine type of the motorcycle.
For example: SC57 refers to a CBR1000RR sport bike, while RC040 refers to a CB750F motorcycle.

Check the Honda list, find your model and you can easily order online original Honda spares through our online electronic Honda spare parts catalog

The Honda Motorcycle Model Prefix is alphabetical listed by VIN Number:

VIN Number / Model Prefix Honda Spare Parts Catalog Year Code Year
AB02 Honda Z50 G Monkey Z-D 1979-1983
AB02 Honda Z50 J Monkey Z-E 1979-1984
AB02 Honda Z50 J Monkey F 1985
AB02 Honda Z50 R Cross Monkey Z 1979
AB02 Honda Z50 R Cross Monkey A 1980
AB020 Honda Z50 R Cross Monkey B 1981
AB020 Honda Z50 R Cross Monkey C 1982
AB020 Honda Z50 R Cross Monkey D 1983
AB020 Honda Z50 R Cross Monkey E 1984
AB020 Honda Z50 R Cross Monkey F 1985