Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike has been sitting for about two weeks while I was waiting for a new fan to do a fan replacement. I flushed the cooling system, installed fan, replaced radiator, filled system, etc. Obviously, I had the tank off. When I replaced the tank and started the engine, it started hard, I cranked it a few times giving it some gas not realizing the choke lever had fallen back down. Pulled choke back up, and the engine started. Let it run on choke for maybe 15 seconds, then put the choke back in. The bike idled smoothly, but looked down and gas was pouring out of (both?) carbs. Shut fuel off, wiped up fuel. Turned fuel back on, leak began again. Turned fuel off, wiped down. Turned fuel on, started bike. Leaking less, and only out of left carb. Took it for spin around block. Came back, still leaking slowly. Turned bike off, pulled tank. Wiped leak down, replaced tank, started bike. It is still dripping, but much less from left carb only.

Thoughts please. I am an extreme novice at this stuff.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sounds like your float is stuck try tapping on the carb that is leaking and then report back here the findings

I did that and it may have helped since it is leaking less and only out of one carb. It isn't leaking out of the overflow tube, which is what I would expect if the float was stuck. It's leaking from somewhere higher on the carb.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The floats could be mildly stuck. Put the bike on its center stand and take the back of a screwdriver and tap the side of the carb bowls on each side and see if the leaking stops. Don't run the engine during this. It may also help to drain the carbs and refill while doing this.

If it isn't that then it's probably slightly cracked bowl overflow tubes. There's a fix for that too.

I had a cracked tube on the other carb when I first bought the bike last month. I ended up replacing that bowl. It is not leaking from the overflow tube like I would think it would if it was a cracked tube, or even a stuck float. It is leaking from somewhere higher on the carb.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok dumb question here but do you think you could of gotten the fuel lines hooked up wrong and you have the fuel line running to the vent on the carb??

Well, there isn't a dumb question considering my mechanical experience, but I'm pretty sure the answer is no. It's just a single fuel line coming from the petcock to a nipple on the outside of the left carb.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The floats could be mildly stuck. Put the bike on its center stand and take the back of a screwdriver and tap the side of the carb bowls on each side and see if the leaking stops. Don't run the engine during this. It may also help to drain the carbs and refill while doing this.

If it isn't that then it's probably slightly cracked bowl overflow tubes. There's a fix for that too.
I will try draining the carb and tapping on it while it's refilling in the morning. Hopefully this does the trick. As always, thanks for everyone's help.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After emptying the bowls and refilling and tapping on the bowl, the leak seems to have stopped. The inline fuel filter goes on tonight (which was the last part of my repair project). Thanks everyone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.