Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know if anyone has done this. I did a search on the fourm and nothing came up. I have a spare engine that i want to rebuild. the problem is that i had it honed out last year and the heads rebuilt but there was extra wear in the cylinder walls that still caused leakdown in the compression. The shop i took it to (best machine shop ever) Told me that if i wanted to completely end the leakdown that i needed to bore out the engine. If i do that i need to buy new pistons. My question is 1. where do i find pistons, 2. do i need new connecting rods and 3. has any one delt with this before. As i said its an extra engine and time is not a factor. but i would like to get an idea of cost before i start the endevor.

·
Super Moderator
15,418 Posts
There are/were three types of pistons available but bike bandit doesn't seem to have any so honda might not have them either. How much wear is there on the engine? Do you know how many miles it had on it? Usually we can get a good amount of miles out of these bikes before anything like you're talking about needs to be done.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was not normal wear that caused this. A buildup of degrading coolent pipes and the thermostat housing sat in the cooling sleeve for some time even after multiple flushings and the heat buildup expadited the wear prosses. As for the miles I don't know off the top of my head. Well class is starting and I should pay attention. Yay math

·
Registered
192 Posts
The CX engines are cheap on Ebay. It may be cheaper to replace than to rebuild with new pistons. You may even be lucky and get a complete bike that has a good engine for less than the price of a god rebuild.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.