Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the record I have Larry's carb book and have been following it. I ran the carbs in the ultrasonic cleaner (USC for short) for about half the day but let them cool off and dry (probably a mistake) before trying to get out the emulsion tube with a filed down screwdriver. It felt like a snug fit so I twisted the hell out of it and "snap" it more or less stripped there's still a very small channel on top but I don't have much to work with. I'm going to run it again in the USC and spray some lubrication spray down in it and will give it another shot. If this attempt is a failure I'll be attempting an easyout extraction.

I searched over on the old forums and found a thread where someone else needed the tube and Larry helped him out with an extra he had but there has to be somewhere to get new ones. I have no idea how to find them at jetsrus but they could possibly have them.

If anyone has a source for these I would be very grateful to know where to look.

Discounthondaparts.com has it listed in the diagram as number 23 but it's not listed below in the parts list with a part #.

Looks like the part # is SKU: 16166-415-003

Still haven't found where to get them from though.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi Mike, these can usually be salvaged--heres what I (and many others here) have done.

Use an easy out type extractor,-I usedKobalt #1 Spiral Screw Extractor (#232606),- it worked well. GENTLY,-just tap in the extractor until it just grabs,- then use a small open end adjustable wrench to torque the extractor back out. You will feel it "give"

Prior to this you should use heat, ultrasonics, PB Blaster, and calcium/lime remover to help the process.

After removal you can salvage the emulsion tube by using a cut off wheel in a Dremel type instrument to grind down (your previous metal work),- then use the edge of the cut off wheel to cut a new slot in the emulsion tube.

After cutting a new slot,- now is the time to custom make a well fitting straight screwdriver, to fit the slot,- just as Larry describes in his book.

In the "old" forum I, and other. posted pictures of this process and techniques. I dont know if they are archived on the new forum site. Sam

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the post Sam. I'll try to track down your guide on the old forums.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts