Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
16,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As some of you have already found out, the swingarm boot for the pro-link models has been NLA for several years.

I have been re-doing the suspension on my 650 and while I was re-installing the VW boot that I originally put on 5 years and almost 45,000 Km ago it occurred to me that it might be a good idea to post the information again.

The original thread is here http://cx500forum.com/cs/forums/3731/ShowPost.aspx

Vitter posted in August 2006 that he had modified & installed a boot he bought at Canadian Tire and posted the part number. I bought one and then contacted the manufacturer.

Vitter said:
The boot I bought was $15 from Canadian Tire, stock # 15-2224-2. Manufactured by EMPI Inc. Anaheim Calif., manufacturers part number 86-1030K (according to the box). I don't know what kind of car it's meant for.

There's a lip on the boots' engine side that has to be trimmed off to an inside diameter of about 1 3/4". The engine has a flange which will hold the boot tight if you trim it just enough. To pull the boot over the engine flange, I used a screwdriver I've modified for seal pulling: I ground the sharp edges off the tip and bent the last 1/4" of the tip to a 90 degree angle. Slip the tip under the boot while rotating it around the flange. The swingarm side (about 3 - 3 1/4" ID) slips and holds right onto the swingarm, no trim needed.

The boot is a little shorter and the rubber is less supple than the Honda part, making the boot look like it is under a little tension when installed. This made me nervous, so I checked it before each ride to make sure it hadn't popped off the engine or swingarm. No problems, so I check it less often now.
I checked mine fairly often for the first while but seldom look at it now. It has held up well and, in spite of all of the abuse I subject this machine to (I use it for commuting in the winter), the u-joint was perfectly clean inside it so I guess it does the job as well as the original part. I put a zip tie on the swingarm end to make sure it stays put, but it probably isn't needed.

Sidecar Bob said:
I went to Empi's website (EMPIUS.COM : WELCOME TO EMPIUS.COM) to see if I could find out what this boot was made for. When I couldn't find out from their online catalogue I sent them the following message:

I am a member of an internet usergroup for owners of Honda CX&GL500&650 motorcycles made in the late '70s & early '80s.

Honda has discontinued the boot that protects the u-joint on these bikes, but one of our members has discovered that your CV boot #86-1030K can be made to work.

Several of us have ordered them by number from auto parts dealers, but not all dealers are willing to order without looking up the vehicle it is for.

Could you tell us what model of car these boots are made for so that we can find them more easily?

Here is their reply:

The most common usage would be:

1984-1987

Honda Civic 1500

Right Outer CV Boot

86-1030-K

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Yet another project I need to do. Mine got a tear in it when I dropped the engine and I "temporarily" fixed it with silicone - about 6 months ago. Being broke sucks...

I'm tagging these threads, thanks.

Fib

·
Super Moderator
16,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The same Empi boot is still intact & working. It is the only boot Eccles has had since I put it together more than 8 years ago.

·
Super Moderator
16,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's great for those who are doing cost is no issue restorations, but I'm sure the shipping alone would be more than the price of the VW boot that is already available at auto parts dealers all over the world.

NOTE: This is for replacement of the 40207-MA1-000 used on models with the pro-link suspension. I do not believe that it will work on twin shock models that require the 40207-415-000 boot.
Challenge: Drew originally found this replacement by finding someone at an auto parts place who was willing to spend a bit of time and look inside a few boxes. That was over 10 years ago. Considering that they started making twin shock models several years earlier isn't it about time someone took one of those boots to a parts store and found one that will work?

·
Super Moderator
22,295 Posts
I've never had an issue with a boot. Mostly I find them in good condition.

But, I'm pretty sure some people have used a boot from a quad bike. Don't know anything else. But I think it's somewhere on the Oz site.

·
Super Moderator
16,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When the boot on my '83 GoldWing (different part but the same principle) cracked about 15 years ago I was able to get one from Honda. I think I must have bought one of the last new ones when the one on my GL500 split in 2002 and the one that came on Eccles was falling apart when I got it. That's 18, 20 & 22 years old when replaced. The newest original one on any CX/GL500/650 would have to be at least 32 years old now.

You wouldn't use 35 year old tires or rad hoses, why would anyone even consider using a rubber part that old to protect the u-joint?

·
Super Moderator
16,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If it ain't broke it will be...

But its your gamble: Do you install something new while it is apart anyway or do you take a chance that the old one won't split (probably on the bottom where you won't notice) and let dirt in.

I was lucky when the one on my 'Wing split. I noticed it when I was getting it ready at the beginning of the summer. It is possible to replace the boot on an '83 GoldWing without dropping the engine but it is not a job I would do again if I could avoid it. IIRC doing it on these bikes involves removing the back wheel and the final drive.

·
Super Moderator
22,295 Posts
As I said before, it may be environmental. I've always been impressed by the rubber used by Honda as I rarely have to find replacements for anything.

Some other makes of vehicles I've worked on leave you trying to source EVERYTHING.

I also have several 'as new' spare boots.

·
Super Moderator
16,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I happened to come across Eccles' original boot (I must have saved it to match if the Empi boot didn't work out). It looks pretty good at first glance, doesn't it?
Eccles' original boot.jpg

But when you look closer..... (this is the same side)
Split boot.jpg
If the side with the cracks was at the bottom (as it was IIRC) you might never know it was like that until it was too late.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts