Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Putting together a tool kit to carry on the bike. What I've come up with so far.

Wrenches to remove both wheels, flat repair, cheap electric meter, allen wrenches, a wiring diagram, spare fuses.

Anybody have any recommendations?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
A multi tool with a needle nose. Spare fuses, bandaids, a few bucks, 10 mil wrench, electrical/-duct tape, couple wire ties, something that will cut wire, a mountain dew bottle full of gas, a playboy mag, spark plug, meds, an old cell phone that holds a charge that has contact numbers in it and can dial out for emergency personel, toilet paper, pensil,

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
I have the small CX500 tool-kit box under my seat and keep a plug spanner,couple of spare plugs,multi-tool with LED light

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pocket-8-in1-Mu...528?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5adfa33428

,bit of wire,Phillips and flat blade screwdriver,cigarette lighter(Great for wire stripping),10mm spanner.

I have a couple of fuses taped to the inside of my left hand side panel and my right hand side panel I glued a small plate,

and keep a spare clutch cable and also an A throttle pull cable.

Two most important things are a Fully charged mobile/cell phone and a Visa card<grin>

·
Registered
289 Posts
One could carry a tool box full of spares and tools, and the one item that would break would be the item you didn't have with you... My luck!
But in the spirit of an emergency tools/spares kit:

Battery powered flasher x2 (bicycle type)

Safety vest w/ reflective strips

Engine Oil (quart)

Small hammer

Safety Wire (bailing wire or the like)

Light bulbs

Bottled drinking water

I would be interested to see what folks have in their tools/spares kits. Dave looks to have a great set up. All I am carrying right now is the factory supplied tool kit which is lacking at best. But, I haven't been riding any long distances, either.

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
That CD, to me, would be worth it's weight in GOLD. How did you compile it, and how can I get my hands on one?

The vast majority of the CD content consists of files that can be downloaded for free from here. As my bikes are all GL's, CX-specific files are not included. Some files are applicable to me only, such as the parts inventory listing.

A USB flash drive could also be used and would be even smaller to pack. More recently I've started carrying a netbook on trips with the files loaded on it.

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
The 18mm deep is for the spark plugs. The other two are for rear axle nuts for the GL500 and the GL650.

The 19mm deep also fits the chrome saddlebag nuts/bolts although it's very unlikely these would need to be removed/replaced on the road.

·
Registered
396 Posts
The vast majority of the CD content consists of files that can be downloaded for free from here. As my bikes are all GL's, CX-specific files are not included. Some files are applicable to me only, such as the parts inventory listing.

A USB flash drive could also be used and would be even smaller to pack. More recently I've started carrying a netbook on trips with the files loaded on it.

That's AWESOME. Thanks!

I have the netbook already - it's the files I'm missing (though, thanks to you - not anymore).

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
More correctly, thanks to all the forum members who have uploaded the files. And special thanks to Blindstitch for taking it upon himself to set up the current file storage location and for the time he spent moving it all from the old Drop.io site.

I think we still need something with more growth potential, though.

·
Registered
396 Posts
More correctly, thanks to all the forum members who have uploaded the files. And special thanks to Blindstitch for taking it upon himself to set up the current file storage location and for the time he spent moving it all from the old Drop.io site.

I think we still need something with more growth potential, though.

I stand corrected. Thank you all!!

When you say "growth potential" - are you referring to the site, the content, the format, all of the above, somethnig else all togehter . . . ?

·
Registered
401 Posts
It used to be that any cell phone, Even one that had not been used in years, could still make emergency 911 calls. If you can find one that will work off the motorcycle battery it would be a good thing to have.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Lots of great input, thanks to everybody. I'm thinking of making a set of jumper cables, 10 gauge wire 8 feet long, does that sound heavy enough to start a 650?

There was a nice little tool kit at Canadian Tire - Motorcycle sized jumper cables, various wrenches, sockets, etc... (which of course I swapped out for the ones I need from my other tool kit) but the jumper cables, I believe are 12ga, and about 8' long. I've used them for starting the bike, and in a pinch, they were also used to Jump a VW passat from my bike! How about that? Anyway, the heavy 8 or 10 ga cables are great (and required) for very cold winter jump starts, but I think they are way overkill for jumping a bike in decent weather.

Best part, it was on sale for like $10 (about $15 US$
)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.