Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking about this upgrade for awhile now, I put in one of those small Shorai batteries in my bike only problem is when it gets cold they loose their power. The solution is to put in a emergency pull starter system.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
That bike sounds amazing!
It looks like a pain to pull over, but that being said, it beats sitting there with a dead battery. Very interested to see how you do this!

Reactions: Mike

·
Registered
787 Posts
Very cool addition. I know that some people with smaller lithium batteries put a quick disconnect on them to take the battery inside with them when they finish the ride.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Fantastic!!!!, It's April already, no winter, no snow shoveling at all!!!! Excellent!!!!

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
That is soooooo great!
What lawnmower did you get that from?
Also, what gear are you engaging to get by the clutch pack?
Especially if you are in neutral.
Actually the more I think about it the more spoofy it looks.
In which case that was a lot of effort for a good prank so congrats.

·
Registered
276 Posts
They always are a little hard to start when you spin the crankshaft backwards, instead of forwards. Quite a few engines have that condition, in fact. This is a pretty cute video, actually!

Kawasaki Bighorn 350, however, was a whole different story. You could kick start them, and they would fire up, but you needed to go easy on the clutch and throttle until you knew which way it was runnng! A friend of mine wrecked a customers bike, at a dealership, when it backed into a wall. Folks learned that if it did a big hiccup, kickback on the kickstart, and ragged fire up....shut it off and try again!

We never thought it possible for a 4-stroke to start backwards. Not until the early days of EFI and separate electronic ignition cars. I was riding with a Service Manager, one evening, in a '91 Camry 4-cylinder with a nagging complaint. Sometimes at idle, the car would start shaking and the automatic transmission wouldnt move when the driver gave it throttle to pull away from a stop. We finally had it happen, where it felt like it had lost every gear and wouldnt rev up in Neutral. I got suspicious when blue smoke started comng out of the hood. We kept shutting off and restarting until it would drive, and then headed back to the dealer shop. A timing light let us watch what happened. It was stagger firing backwards, banging the airflow meter door as blue smoke came out the air filter housing! Replacing the igniter fixed it. There were about 10 of us gathered around that opened hood, shaking our heads in disbelief. At the time, we all decided it was kinda like airline pilots and UFOs.....if you see one, you better not see one.

Incredibly, one of our Headquarters associates was referred to me, about 6 months later, describing the same problem on his Daughters ES250 V-6. I told him to change the igniter, dont report UFO sightings, and I hung up. He must have thought I was nuts, but I heard from a mutual friend that it fixed the car.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Is that for real or what? That will really give the Harley guys some laughs

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Just get a real battery

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess the good old fashion push start is out of the question, huh ???
We would not want to look stupid running with our old ugly maggot bikes now would we.

·
Registered
787 Posts
What sort of super kevlar reinforced pull cord would one use? A can see a normal pull cord breaking too easily.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Like the post says it is for emergency use only

Sent from my sonic screw driver

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Be creative. Couldn't be any uglier than a lawn mower pull start.

Hide another battery somewhere else .

Or put on some nice heavy cables with less resistance.

·
Registered
24,403 Posts
the whole pull start thing is way out of my league

as a devout member of the "fitness protection plan" i am not pushing it pulling it or dragging it

so therefore i think the only viable alternative is a coffman/cartridge e starter system they are efficient and compact and you get to explode something

it uses a blank powder shotgun shell they even had a bunch of farm tractors in oz that used them to start you put a shell in and whack the firing pin with a hammer to start the tractor

here is a fancier one

they had bigger ones for all sorts of planes

but i could muster up a whack with a hammer to start mine that would be way more fun in front of the harley guys

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
My favorite is how the whole pull start unit "flexes" when you pull it lol

1 - 20 of 42 Posts