Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on my way to work this morning. It has been cold here (about 40 f) I pulled the choke out on my 82 cx500 c and the motorcycle wouldn't start. I fiddled with the wires until the lights went on the console then the bike started fine. Ran fine until i got on the freeway then at about 50 mph it decided to get sluggish on me and when I put in the clutch the bike shut down. I pulled to the side and checked the gas. plenty of gas, the fuel was flowing just fine (have a clear fuel line) and the bike started up again just fine. Then when I got up to freeway speeds the same thing happened. Again pulled to the side of the road checked everything and it started right up. At this point I just wanted to get into work (about 5 miles out) So i started the bike up and took it slow, didn't get going to quickly. But the same thing happened, was sluggish to accelerate and when I put the clutch in to coast the lights came on the center console and the bike died. At this point I tried to start I checked the electrical again. couldn't see any damage but the wires were hot near the positive battery lead near fuses on the left side of the bike. I then tried to start it again and though the lights would dim and i could hear a single click, the bike would not try and turn over. Long story short(ish) I then walked the 40 minutes to work pushing the bike and even when I tried to push start the bike (had some hills between me and work) the bike would not turn over at all and when I released the clutch to get it to start it didn't sound like it was trying to start. Now I am here at work and have 8 hours to figure out the problem and try and fix it. I know i need to change my spark plugs (soon) and I know the electrical has had issues with loose connections and a blow main fuze a couple of times over the past 3 years. I just hope it isn't the stator and I can get get it to work to at least get me home. Any and all suggestions are welcome (as long as the involve the bike, and getting it to run again). Thanks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
would the lights on the console be working if it were the main fuse? the neutral light and the brake light are both on? I didn't open the fuse box becuase the lights were on but I will check it.

·
Super Moderator
23,397 Posts
Logic says no. But illogical behaviour with these bikes concerning the main fuse is hardly unknown, especially if it is the original type blade fuse. It's worth slipping in a new fuse.... for that matter a whole new fuse holder just to eliminate the possibility.

I still use glass fuses, but in a new better quality holder. Others replace it with a modern type blade fuse.

The main fuse is under the left sidecover near the starter solenoid, it's not one of the fuses under the handlebar cover.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have changed the fuse out before. I do need to replace the fuse type though. When I get my break I will check out the fuse. Thanks.

·
Registered
426 Posts
It sounds like you a intermitten wire problem which you located when you wiggled them and got the lights on. you should have caught a ride to work til you had time to troubleshoot it and saved yourself a lot of walking and pushing. It's time to break out the multimeter and start tracing wires. It ain't fun but it is the only way to find the problem wire. One of them seems to be broken and makes contact when you move it. Good luck.:D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
took my lunch break to find out that my battery is very low on fluid but when I went to start it it tried to turn over so that is at least a good sign. i am plugging the battery in to a charger and if I can get it started and running I will just get a new battery. I am going to take the time and figure out the wiring on the entier thing and hope that it is the only problem with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts