Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon!

Yesterday the bike decided to pull a new trick: Staying Alive all night!

When I turn the key to the off position the bike's electrical system doesn't shut off.

I took apart the ignition switch and tested all the positions. There is good and lack of continuity everywhere as it should be under the different switch positions. I checked my green wires to make sure I was well grounded... all good. I tracked the Black/White wire and when I unplug it it doesn't shut the bike. So it seems like something is getting around it?

Not sure where to go from here.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
when i test continuity, with the ign switch off the circuit is still closed (continuous).

·
Super Moderator
4,066 Posts
Do you know nippongreen?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
more on this.

I took out the ignition switch again to do more testing on and around it.

with the swtich out the current still runs through. i have to unplug the battery or the main fuse to shut the current out...

not sure if this helps narrow down towards thenissue here. i'm stuck!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
image.jpeg i starter testing the leads off the rectifier to see if the rectifier might be faulty.

one of the connecters was diffilcut to unplug and revealed some burnt/melted plastic on the red connection. photo attached.

my readings were

green to yellow 1, 2, 3 (487, 486, 487) in reversve all 3 were infinite.

red to yellow 1, 2, 3 all 3 were infinite and in reverse (494, 496, 495).

is the connector creating a short? is my rectifier toast? both?

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I had this problem with a '78, a new/different CDI box cured it.
The bike only ran on 1 cylinder and would not shut down with the ignition switch.
My spare CDI fixed it.

·
Super Moderator
4,066 Posts
Nippongreen lives in Richmond, near Ottawa and is very knowledgeable on these bikes. He is a member here and on the Ottawa Misfits motorcycle group on Facebook.

·
Registered
882 Posts
That connector is certainly suspect. You could test it with your meter on ohms, or just replace it. A little corrosion on the terminals causes resistance and since P = I [squared] * R, and P is watts of heat, the plastic around them will get hot and melt. Maybe a Honda dealer will have one--where are you located now?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm currently in Victoria BC.

I'm currently out and about looking for a store that mught have this type of 3 way connector.

·
Super Moderator
4,066 Posts
Sorry Guillaume, I forgot that you were on a trans Canada ride. There are some forum members in the BC area.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
all good Mike! Hard to keep track of who is riding where and when!

I'll check that link, thanks Steve.

Update

I've bypassed the plug and the circuit is now back in order. I don't know if the melted plug was the result of a long 35 years process, or a recent burst caused by the rectifier. I've tested the rectifier's leads both ways for resistance (3 yellow x (red : green)) and i'm not sure what resistance would be acceptable to be considered low. There is a good chance that the resistor is at fault here.

Could the source of the problem be the stator sending too much juice back to the rectifier, who would have then spark or sent a burst that would have melted the plug?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
there were a few cobwebs on there that i cleared up.

i'll ride today for a bit and see how it does!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts